Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight vibration in the driveline at 55-60mph,but when the driveshaft is rotated 180Deg at the pinion, the vibration dissappears.Would this indicate an out of balance driveshaft, or is it just the nature of the beast?
My reasoning is that a properly balanced driveshaft should not vibrate,regardless of which way it's positioned in the rear yoke?
Greg

·
Registered
19,972 Posts
I agree with you 100%. But it could be the sum of things that works one way and not the other. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I agree with you. I don't think it should make any difference which way you put it in if it is balanced. I eagerly wait to hear from somebody who knows.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The mustang is built on 60's technology, count your blessings and put the driiveshaft in the way that makes the car happy. My mustang has a shimmy at that same speed that i can almost eliminate but not 100%.

How about sending me a case of VB?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would agree with your assessment Greg, a properly balanced shaft should not vibrate regardless of it's positioning....likewise, an unballanced shaft would probably vibrate regardless of which way it was installed. If you are able to rotate the pinion by 180deg and stop the vibration, that would tend to suggest that something else is amis rather than the shaft being out of balance.....not quite sure what...but, I will ponder the situation for a while.....

J.B.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I always read that you should mark the joint & reassemble identically. How nice that one way eliminates the problem for you! As an aside, you can minimize harmonics/phasing boom with 2 screw-type hose clamps placed adjacent on the drive shaft near the u-joint (to avoid balancing $$ or as a diagnostic). Start with the screws, which serve as weights, side by side and then rotationally offset them in steps of approx. 1" until phasing boom or harmonics are minimized. Cadillac actually put this fix in their maint. manual for CV joing phasing boom. It works 'cause I tried it. No reason it wouldn't apply to an old Mustang driveline.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read that proceedure in a Ford workshop manual I had for the 351XC Falcon Ute I used to own.On the hoist, you bring the car up to vibration speed & carefully use chalk to mark the shaft at the imbalance point,then move the clamps as you said.
The vibration is minimal but when it comes to vibrations & oil leaks I become a bit anal!
Greg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've often wondered about this.......probably something to do with the grease nipple location being in conflict with the drag co-efficiant of the dynamicals.....yeah,that's it!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts