Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This should be an interesting bunch of auctions to watch. Charles Turner and I will be down in Phoenix checking out Barrett-Jackson and the Russo-Steele auctions next month. Charles has some 'business' to do down there, while I'm just there for some fun. Some interesting things to watch from my perspective will be this 1966 Shelby and the others at that auction as well as this one over at Barrett Jackson.

Now, the highest price I know of for a 1966 G.T. 350 was the one that sold at Barrett-Jackson last year for $120K. What's interesting about 2330 is that while it looks like it's a fantastic car, there's no apparent unique history or awards for the car. So, if it can fetch anywhere near their estimate it will be establishing a new high for, dare I say, the everyman's Shelby.

Bottom line, I don't think it can fetch even the low of their estimate. However, that being said, the hysteria of the high-end muscle car market could very well drive the price there. If it does, 2131 will be undergoing a top to bottom redux with a vigor. :D

Should be some good action to watch and great cars to oggle!

-bob

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
This car is my mom's and my parents are selling because they are retiring in September. Barret is saying it will fetch $75k. Matching numbers car with rare options. My dad is currently building an all steel (original, not remake) 34 Ford 3 window. I'm sure they'll use some of the funds for that!

Actually an interesting story behind the car as well. My dad got if for a steal about 20 years ago for my mom for mother's day. It was owned by a woman who was involved in a love triangle. One dude found out about the other and decided a handgun was the solution. Killed them, then himself. Sad.

454 Vette

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I'm sure that between Yergovich and Gaines, #2330 is an incredible car...
However, even if CS himself personally DNA stained the seat :paranoid:, there's no Mustang (IMO) that's worth $300k. :no:

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, but getting a little more nervous each time I take it on the track! :D

-bob

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's a great car. However, I'll stand on my opinion (as a guy who is pretty into the Shelby and Mustang 'scene') that there isn't anything really special about 2330. Now, there very well may be some history that they don't mention on the auction site. I'm not sure that simply a Gaines/Yergovich connection equates to a pedigree worthy of that estimate - particularly when the car is 'unprove' as far as national SAAC judging, etc. It's probably not possible that the car wouldn't be one of those 'gold standard' type rigs given the parties involved. But, to my point, the car that set the high-water mark for 66's at B-J last year was a multiple national award winner at least; not just a well restored Shelby as it were.

Like I said, if the 66's that are up for auction (the Gaines car isn't the only one sporting that estimated range) go for those numbers you'll soon see a car from Dooley and Turner on the block. :winkgrin:

I still think it will be fun to see what happens. Hard to predict what will happen. All of the Russo/Steele estimates are way high for the cars from any brand I looked at. I'd think that with the previous record at $120K for a 66 G.T. 350 they'll be lucky to beat that mark. But, you never know what the day may bring. Should be fun!

-bob

-bob

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Even with high water marks at $120k I think guys like you and Charlie are nucking futs for driving them the way you do. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts