Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finished the drivers quarter and the metal strip behind the back window. All I have left is about 1/2 of the passenger quarter and about half of the engine compartment. So far no rust, bondo or hidden damage.
Can you believe that a mustang restoration shop told the previous owner that this car was too far gone to restore and he would be better off parting it out? Sound like they were just trying to get the car off of his hands cheap.

http://groups.msn.com/Steves65Mustang22Restoration/paintstrippingunibodyv02.msnw?Page=1

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks good. How cheap did you get it??!!

That's my next step also. I'm both looking forward and dreading it at the same time. Tell me how much fun you're having to keep me motivated!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am debating on weather or not to sand mine down or take it and get it done professionally. How hard is it exactly to go down to bare metal on your own. Looks good by the way.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a lot of work. The quarter panel took about 3 hours - but I have every speck of paint & pimer off. All of my body pieces (doors, fenders, trunk lid, etc) are finished and the unibody is set to be worked and put into primer next week. From there the paint work will begin - looking for a mid to late Sept. finish on the body work.

To answer the 1st question - I bought the car off VMF about 3 years ago for 4.5K. It had new shocks,springs,exhaust and torq-thrust wheels. I sold the rims and gt exhaust - so I have about 3500.00 in the car itself. However, I have about 8K or so (I am not keeping that close records) in the parts and work done so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts