Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic taken at Oshkosh today of a row of P-51s getting ready for the airshow. I can't wait to fly in there tomorrow to get to see and feel this in person. Watching one takeoff is amazing and watching them takeoff in formation is like being in heaven!
Is anybody here going?
http://a3.cpimg.com/image/37/96/11551543-2f55-02580191-.jpg

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
That is impressive .

Now tell me , how does the P51 stack up agianst the Hawker Sea Fury (my personal Favorite). I under stand the Sea Fury is or was the fastest prop driven aircraft in the world and nothing can go faster because of the phyics involved .

I saw a Sea Fury at an airshow a while back and the noise and rumble it made during a low pass made the hair stand up on the back of the neck and gave me goose bumps .
Oh no that was when I was in love , but this was simalar but not as messy . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nice Pic!!!!

This is what one P-51 sounds like, I can't imagine 15 all at once!!!

Rick

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the same group without the V-12s running. If you go to www.eaa.org click on virtual slideshow then go to the bottom of the page and click on photos it will take you to the gallery. I tried to link to it but it wouldn't work. There are a few more mustang pics in there too. Enjoy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
http://www.airventure.org/2002/gallery/images/4/linep51_600.jpg

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure exactly how the mustang stacks up against the sea fury but I remember last year they were doing mock air races at Oshkosh using two P-51s, a Sea Fury, and a Super Corsair. They were pretty much even though the Corsair couldn't cut the corners as tight but would blow everyone away on the straight aways with that extra row of cylinders in that radial. Hearing all of those different engines going by at the same time is truly amazing! I suppose they were modified to be air racers as well so I'm not sure how a stock mustang would compare. I can't seem to remember right now but what does it have for an engine?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Crew
One
Construction
All metal stressed skin
Engine
One 2,480hp Bristol Centaurus 18 sleeve-value radial
Performance
Maximum Speed 460 mph (740 km/h)
Range 760 miles (1,223 km)
Service Ceiling 36,000 ft (11,000 m)
Dimensions
Wing Span 38ft 4in (11.69m)
Length 34ft 8in (10.56m)
Height 15ft 10in (4.81m)
Weight empty 8,977lb (4,090kg)
Weight loaded 12,500lb (5,669kg)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, it beats the mustang by a little bit. I found the following specs for the P-51D.
max speed @ 25K ft: 437 mph
service ceiling: 41, 900 ft
max gross weight: 12,100 lbs.
Hopefully I'll get to see and hear both airplanes starting tomorrow./forums/images/icons/smile.gif I gotta try to get to bed now, we're going to be wheels up in less than 9 hours.

G

·
I was at a special airshow 2 years ago called the p51 gathering of mustangs and legends. They had around 85 mustangs in vintage warpaint there. I had never seen several flights of mustangs in diamond formation take off and fly out together....it gave me goosebumps! They said that even in world war II you would never see this many together in one place except the factories.

BTW, when were the sea furies introduced and who used them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts