Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 9" rear, but unfortunately it's a small bearing with 28 spline axles.

However, it may not matter as I was planning on narrowing it anyways. Does anyone have any advice? I'm hoping to pick up some big bearing ends, and then go to 31 spline axles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I guess my point was that if I'm going to narrow it anyways, why not go big? I'm assuming there's an advantage there vs the smaller bearings.
Why not just pick up a big bearing 9" then? Now you've bought a 9" small and have to change the ends also. I don't think there is much worry over the 31 spline small bearing vs big bearing as far as wear/heat/etc. goes. Some will probably say the 35 small is pushing it too far that I have, but I'm living on the edge... :sneaky:

Allen

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just pick up a big bearing 9" then? Now you've bought a 9" small and have to change the ends also. I don't think there is much worry over the 31 spline small bearing vs big bearing as far as wear/heat/etc. goes. Some will probably say the 35 small is pushing it too far that I have, but I'm living on the edge... :sneaky:

Allen
I got a good deal on it. With new axles and flange ends, I'll probably be into it for $600.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There is nothing wrong with small bearings. Big bearings were incorporated for added vehicle weight reasons , not performance. Cammer powered '65 A/FX Mustangs were "factory" LOL equipped with small bearings . I have them in my 10 second Shelby despite being 55 years old.
Randy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bring it by the shop, we can make it what ever you want. From what I have seen it is about a $150-200 job if a fab shop has the jig. I bought a jig from Lead Mine products. It was a simple job. Good luck. One side note, I had small axles with bug end bearings, so I had to buy some specialty adapter bearings. No big deal.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
One thing to consider is what type of housing do you have or want. The later style have less clearance for exhaust over the axle where as the banjo style will have more clearance. I just had a versailles axle with four links mocked up in my project and it sure does look way bigger than the 57-59 housing I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts