Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some opinions before I purchase or build an engine. I'm getting close to the point of an engine. I have a core for a 1976-302 or a 1984-351 not sure of which one I would like as my finished engine. I am not building a show car, but a nice muscle car to drive on weekends. I want drive ability and good power. (I would like to scare a few Honda's) Any opinions +/- on these two motors would be helpful! Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
12,967 Posts
I’d go with the 351
^^^^^^ +1. Then stoke it to a 408 or 427

"......not building a show car, but a nice muscle car to drive on weekends. I want drive ability and good power. (I would like to scare a few Honda's)...."
a stroked 351W will :

a) be a foundation for a "nice muscle car".

b) for the desired "drivability" you will need to spend some $$$ on the steering, suspension and brakes so your car can "handle" the doubled horsepower. Chock, & John @ Opentracker will be your go-to guys in those departments. Tell them your goals and budget, then sit back, drink your coffee, and listen .

c) People that drive Hondas are scared enough already. Don't add to their misery.

Z

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Ditto. It doesn't cost any more money to build a 351W than it costs to build a 302. The 351W is going to result in more power and more potential power.

A stroked crank will certainly ramp up the power, but it's not necessary. A well-built 351W with a factory crank is still a fun street engine. But if you want tire-smoking, stump-pulling torque, by all means, stroke it.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
"Stroker" is just the latest buzz word that everyone likes to use, kinda like "3/4 race cam" and "N50s" from back in the day. Stroker engines are great, but the costs can spiral quickly if you get good parts. Lots of "nice price" stroker kits that are a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd personally build the 351W as a stock stroke with a good set of Dart/World/TrickFlow heads and a roller cam.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I would like to hear some opinions before I purchase or build an engine. I'm getting close to the point of an engine. I have a core for a 1976-302 or a 1984-351 not sure of which one I would like as my finished engine. I am not building a show car, but a nice muscle car to drive on weekends. I want drive ability and good power. (I would like to scare a few Honda's) Any opinions +/- on these two motors would be helpful! Thanks so much!

View attachment 737159
Having been where you are a few yr ago, I will tell you what I did and what/if I would do it different. I wanted to replace the non original 302 in our '68 'Vert. I always wanted to build my own motor from a bare block and this was my time--enough $$ and spare time. After a lot of research and asking questions, I decided to get a machined 302 roller block and build a 347 stroker. At the time, my reasoning for staying with a 302 based block was that I already had a Weiand Stealth intake a a set of TFS170 heads. So.....I built up my first engine with those parts and had a custom cam ground. Car had an AOD that I eventually ditched for a T5Z (WA more fun!!). Fast forward 7 yr.....still a blast to drive and have no regrets but.....I could of put in a 351 with the same quality parts and made as much power or more for about the same price or...............took a roller 351 block, a set of TFS190's and a good intake AND a 408 stroker kit and make MUCH more power than I have today for not much more $$. To me, it's a no brainer but you may have to pick carefully for the intakes since you may have clearance issues with your hood.

After saying all that, if your budget allows, go to a stroked 351 or if you want to stick with a 302 based block, no reason to build it back to stock--go 347.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Depends on what you mean by driveability...if fuel mileage factors into that in any way, I would build a 302...a 351w(and even more so a 351c) will drink gas. I know most on here don't care about fuel mileage, but to me its an important factor if I drive a car often.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
As long as you are starting from scratch with no heads, headers, intakes, etc. then I think it makes sense to go with the 351. Furthermore, if you go with the 351 it costs about the same to go with a stroker as it does to rebuild the stock stuff. With large cubic inches you can select a really mild cam and have an engine that is all done by 5500 but with tons of usable torque with high gears good for the highway....OR you could easily make over 600 horsepower with a stroker and good heads...You decide!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
7D, do you have the connecting rods for the 351W ? If you do, the 393 stroker version of the 351W is THE best budget friendly stroker. You can use the original 351W con rods, cheap & easy to find 302 pistons. The only custom part you need is the 3.850 stroker crank. You'll need to do some minor grinding on the bottom of the block. You are then free to spend more on nice heads & intake & more. 450~475 hp would be easy. LSG

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yeah, I think they would, but if I was going to go to a 427, and obviously looking for gross horsepower, I'd go with the TFS 225 Cleveland head instead.
Well, I'm 2 yr away from retirement and I want a project for then and I'm going to build a sbf 427. Not sure if it will go in our '68 'Vert or not. Long ways from picking heads of course but always like to hear opinions from guys that know a LOT more than I do. Back to the OP's questions....still like the idea of a 351 for him--stroked or not.

·
Registered
20,066 Posts
Sold a set of GT40P heads for $525 to buy a complete GT40P motor, trans and efi wiring for $450. Sold off what I didn't want for $175. Used Wieand intake $80, used Mustang 5.0 cam $60 used Edelbrock 600 $125. Runs great, I'm pleased.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Couple of things I never hear people talk about. I went from a 351 which blew to a 302 junk yard motor while I rebuilt my 351. First thing I noticed is the car handled better. It stopped faster and was a little more nimble due to the lighter motor. It was a surprisingly noticeable difference especially in Autocross! I have run an unstroked 351 Windsor for over 20 years running an advertised 400 hp (Performer RPM top end kit on a new Ford Motorsport block). Its fun fast, not scary fast and with a 6k chip in the rev limiter its completely bullet proof. 400 hp is definitely at the upper limit for a T5, published wisdom is the top end for a T5 is 350hp but that will start an argument that will cover 3 pages.

So if you plan to exceed 400, budget for a Tremec or toploader, healthy clutch and if you have an 8" that has yet to be smiled on, you may need to upgrade there or move to a 9". THen there is putting power to the ground, 400+ is overmatch for a stock frame and rear suspension, so budget for upgrades across the board - subframe connectors, torque boxes, rear springs, some anti-hop solution, pinion snubber and likely shocks if you don't already have hi-end shocks...

Because I like to autocross my car, if I were to do it over again, I would opt for a stroked 347 to drop 70 pounds up front. A 300-350hp 302 with a T5 is a great way to go for a fun street car. quick, nimble and affordable. 347 will get you to 400-450 hp. Unstroked 351 is heavier but after a month you won't notice it unless you try to chase a 302 based car. May need to upgrade front springs. Easy to get to 400hp, with a little effort you can get to 450 but your likely to give up some low-end torque. Stroked 351 450-550+ with the limited tire widths on our cars require a restrained countenance. At 70 on the freeway, a foot stomp may give you eye-to-eye contact with the driver behind you...

300-350 hp respectable, will give a good thrill.
400-450 Fun Fast, big grins
450-500+ Scary fast - 2 beer alpha-lead-foot = outright dangerous

Hope that helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts