Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep from this car. I am buying it for the AOD Tranny and I am going to give the motor to another VMFM who's stang is motorless and everything under the hood, radiator, starter, etc. will the rear end work on a vintage mustang ? Is there anything else worth keeping on this car?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
No, the rear axle won't work. Too wide and it's a 4 link, coil sprung, not leaf. You'd most likely have to narow it and weld spring perches on...you'd spend more money then it's worth. The AOD is a very early version that needs upgrades desperately. It lacks a lubrication circuit for the over drive. As a result, many AODs had the OD band burn out from high speeds or substained use. Police cars equipped with this trans usually were forbidden to use the OD for these reasons...at least in my area. Also be aware that the engine is a 50 oz balance and not 28 oz. balance.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The AOD is a very early version that needs upgrades desperately.
I've heard that over and over. I have a "junk yard" '82 AOD in my '66 and have put 55k miles of hard driving on it, including over 40 passes at the drag strip. This morning it will be driving me to the Bay area and back (a 400 mile round trip and it will be in OD most of the way).

Yes, the later ones have some design improvements, but I, personally, don't buy into the "early ones are too fragile" thing. I wouldn't put it behind my 408, but then I wouldn't put a T-5 behind it, either.

Of course this is my opinion and other's mileage may vary!

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
I was refering to the rear lube upgrades. Personally I wouldn't stick a 23 year old automatic in without going through it.

·
7,065 Posts
wouldn't stick a 23 year old automatic in without going through it
That's exactly why I went with a 4R70W. Right now, some fat chick somewhere is wrecking a V6 mustang with a perfectly good AOD-E/4R70W that'll mate right up to a small block. She's only got 1200 miles on the car. Unfortunately she was talking on her cell phone and didn't see the Schwann Truck stopping in front of her. She's OK...but the car is headed to the junkyard. You guys are going to walk right past it looking for an old Mercury??? PULEEEEEZZZE!

"Tick Tock Tick Tock" That's the sound of 1993 getting longer and longer ago. I'm telling you guys, my AOD-E is 'da bomb. ::

Phil

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The AOD is a very early version that needs upgrades desperately. It lacks a lubrication circuit for the over drive. As a result, many AODs had the OD band burn out from high speeds or sustained use. Police cars equipped with this trans usually were forbidden to use the OD for these reasons...at least in my area.
Yes, the computer controlled transmissions are better, and yes, even the old style AODs are not as bad as some believe, and yes, the original AOD owner's manuals stated not to use overdrive for extended wide-open-throttle (WOT) operation, hence the police chase warnings...

However I would like to point out the following misinformation:

The early AOD oiling problem had nothing to do with overdrive, it affected the planet bushings on pre-88 models.

The issues with the overdrive failures were largely related to the overdrive servo and the width of the overdrive band, both of which varied by application and year.

Generally speaking, later transmission had more improvements, but ANY used transmission is a gamble if you do not rebuild it.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
"Tick Tock Tick Tock" That's the sound of 1993 getting longer and longer ago. I'm telling you guys, my AOD-E is 'da bomb. ::

Phil
And as Phil already knows, my 1993 AOD from a Thunderbird Super Coupe with the C servo, modified with a hardened input shaft and the wide ratio gear set, 2 inch overdrive band, and mechanical diode from a 4R70W don't need no stinkin' computer ::

-Rory

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm disappointed in you guys. Do you really think I would put a tranny in my car without going through it. I am in the vintage mustang training program. I log on this site twice a day. Its getting redone and lots of goodies. I have a step by step from Mustang Monthly and I have had lots of help with this process from other members. Johnpro took the time to give me all the info. I doing my entire car, I wouldn't forget about the tranny.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great article. I didnt think of the brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts