Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who asked for beds so tall you can only access them through the tailgate?
I bought an ‘07 Canyon and the bed is just a little above belly button high. I can see into it, reach stuff, and actually put things in from the side.
Guess we are to blame, we bought them when they went “two story.”

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I know. Trucks aren't built for the jobsite anymore they are built for the people that want a big car. Even the small trucks are pretty tall. It's also part of why you are seeing more vans for commercial use along with in a van your stuff doesn't get wet or stolen and you can carry longer material and all inside...

I finally saw a canyon the other day and it's a nice little truck, diesel black nice headache rack etc but cost as much as a full size which is part of why they are not big sellers here. I still haven't seen a new Ranger in the wild yet, I guess they aren't being sold yet.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've seen a few Rangers on the road and at the dealer. I'm a Ford guy for the greatest part, but the new Ranger looks like an F-150 mated with a Tacoma. And they're as expensive as an F-150. I'm obviously not the target audience. I have an F-250, and I am a tall person so I like the build of the truck but it's obvious the body of trucks has gotten taller over the years, nevermind the suspension height.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The same people who decided that truck buyers only want 1/2 a truck.

In a full size truck, if I cant put a sheet of plywood in the bed and close the tailgate, its not a truck, its a SUV made to look like a truck.

If I want 1/2 a truck, I will buy a Tacoma.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
The 99-07 classic Silverados were the last full size GM truck you could reach over on the 2wd models.

I have a 2015 Z71 and it has a bumper step on the rear. At 5'8", I have to get on my toes to reach the dipstick. I miss my old 2000, that was the last time full size trucks were the "right size".

Government regulations and crash tests also share some of the blame, to meet crash tests they had to raise belt lines (this is a lot more obvious on newer cars) and I guess to make them still look like how we're used to seeing them, they raised the beds to go with the belt lines.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Yep, the bed on my 2012 F150 SCREW a pain to get stuff in and out of. Yeah, maybe half car, half truck, but fills my needs for a single vehicle that I can carry lots of family members and still load the bed down with ATV, dead deer, or big load of corn, fertilizer etc. If I was doing construction or such, I would prefer a full 8 ft bed and something lower.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,927 Posts
I am very happy with my 2000 Ranger 4x4. I priced out a new Ranger & OMG are they expensive. Everything I need to carry I can fit in my Ranger, if I need to carry a sheet of plywood slid it down in the front of the bed & out over the top of the tail gate, works great. I can still get stuff out of or into the bed over the side also.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
In 2012 I paid $1000 for my 85 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic - basically a Silverado. It has factory A/C, AT, PS, PDB, Cruise, Am-FM stereo w/ 4 speakers, Power windows, Power locks, rally wheels, S&T rear bumper, dual fuel tanks and Intermittent wipers.
In 2017 I bought four new tires and switched out the AM-FM for a stock looking AM-FM with MP3 jack. Also did the brakes all the way around and replaced a weeping axle seal. Last year I replaced the tired 305-4V with a 350-4v crate motor and got some Weathertek floor mats and installed a couple of USB ports.
I can work on it, parts are cheap, I can haul lumber, brush, car parts, whatever I want without worrying about scratches and dings. It gets about 18 MPG around town and doing 75 out on the highway.
I'm into it for about $5000 and figure she's good for another 100K miles. I'd rather have an old truck any day.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I am very happy with my 2000 Ranger 4x4. I priced out a new Ranger & OMG are they expensive. Everything I need to carry I can fit in my Ranger, if I need to carry a sheet of plywood slid it down in the front of the bed & out over the top of the tail gate, works great. I can still get stuff out of or into the bed over the side also.
While I'm glad you like your Ranger, that method isn't going to work very well with 10-20 sheets of drywall ....

I agree, new full size trucks are made to look impressive and tough, not for actual work. My 2000 K2500 has a much more practical load height. New 1/2-3/4 Ton trucks also have horrible visibility looking over that tall hood.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I have no idea why everyone seems to have such a problem with new trucks. My 2018 F350 4WD Dually kicks arse. It’ll pull 16,000 lbs like it’s not there and haul anything I toss in the bed. So I have to climb on the bumper to get in, whoop de freak’n doo.
Trucks keep getting bigger and so do the things we tow.

Mark

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The point is, there's no reason for them to be so tall, other than styling. Them being taller has nothing to do with tow ratings, and it doesn't give you any more space for hauling material. Loading things like a motorcycle or lawnmower are especially difficult with such tall load heights. I'm not just talking about throwing in some 2x4's now and then, and obviously it isn't a factor in towing.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
The point is, there's no reason for them to be so tall, other than styling. Them being taller has nothing to do with tow ratings, and it doesn't give you any more space for hauling material. Loading things like a motorcycle or lawnmower are especially difficult with such tall load heights. I'm not just talking about throwing in some 2x4's now and then, and obviously it isn't a factor in towing.

Really? So you can’t put more sheets of X in a taller box? How does that math work? My fuel jugs didn’t fit under the bed cover in my 2000 F250. They do now, what’s not to like?

The trucks are bigger overall. Beefier frames, axels, engines, trans, etc...That equates to higher tow capabilities. The companies just making them bigger and more HD because people want just the looks is BS. Where’s the tech to back that up?

I do like vans for carrying stuff that can’t get wet. When I ran the millwork shop in Kansas, we switched from a F250 to a hd van and it worked great for hauling lots of things. Trailers were not one of them.

They both have their specialties.

Mark

·
Registered
329 Posts
I drive a 2003 F150. It's a full size pickup, short bed, standard cab. In the parking lots, it really looks small compared to "modern" trucks. I reminds me how small my little 1996 Mazda B2300 (Ford Ranger with different badges) looked next to standard pickups back then. The difference is the bed. My Mazda seemed like it could fit in the bed of its bigger brothers. But my F150's bed isn't much different in size (as far as I can tell) from today's trucks. In fact, I suspect that my old short box is probably BIGGER than many of the 4-door double plus extended cab boxes today. Mine holds two people plus a couple of Big Gulps up front. Everything else has to go in the bed.:grin2:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
The same people who decided that truck buyers only want 1/2 a truck.

In a full size truck, if I cant put a sheet of plywood in the bed and close the tailgate, its not a truck, its a SUV made to look like a truck.

If I want 1/2 a truck, I will buy a Tacoma.
Amen brother! And if you buy a "lifestyle vehicle" with a power tail gate you have low "T" at best. A lifestyle vehicle is a truck-ish thing with a bed as wide as it is long. Don't get me started on the new GMC staircase!

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Today's trucks have capabilities far exceeding that of those made in the 90's and back. I dailied a '73 Chevy crew cab dually for many years. The bed was the same height as my '07 2500, but the frame was a joke compared to the '07.

Being 6'3". I don't worry much about reach over heights on the bed, and I've always used a tire step to work on any truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One last thing. My wife's 300ZX was backed over, yes over, twice because the sorry Trucker could not see it behind him/her. All those trucks should come with backup cameras

1 - 20 of 20 Posts