Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - a picture of where I'm at with my install. Almost there!!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193714756-motor_29OCT07.jpg

Now to the question. You'll have to pardon me, I don't know all the proper terminology. You'll see in the below picture that the secondaries are closed and a adjustment screw holding them closed. This is with gas pedal *not* depressed.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193714700-closed.jpg

Now - when I press the gas pedal, the secondaries open. I release the gas pedal and the gas pedal returns to normal but the secondaries remain open. The adjuster screw is now in position B as indicated the picture below.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193714634-open.jpg

This is an Edlelbrock 1405 600cfm Carb. I imagine this is wrong.

Has someone experienced this before and point me in the right direction.

BTW - big shout out to Dave - AKA 68Bucks for that high speed throttle linkage!!!!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Large plate above is the choke to assist in cold starts. The item at the bottom is the of the fast idle cam to increase idle speed on cold starts. When you fully depress the throttle it will open the choke. All looks normal to me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a bit confused. Should the plate ever return to the position in the first position? I don't see how it can in the set up I have as that screw is blocking it from returning. I also don't see how it can without some manual intervention?

I'll hook up the manual choke tonight and take a look to see if I can better understand.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When you hook up the manual choke you will see how it works. When you pull the choke cable it will shut the choke plate and want to set the fast idle cam. Depress the gas pedal when setting the choke as it will move the throttle out of the way so the fast idle cam can move without any friction. Also saves wear and tear on the choke cable.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You have a CHOKE on the carb, it restricts the air fuel ratio at start up. That is the primary When that is closed it helps with the starting and idle when the motor warms up it should be open. The one thing I notice in the pic is the choke should not be completely closed it should be slightly open use a 3/64 drill bit to guage the opening. I just noticed in your first picture that the cable is not even hooked up to it on the passenger side. It is right in front of the Fuel inlet.See that little shaped L arm thats where your manual cable should be hooked to. You control the opening and closing of your choke by pulling on the cable from inside your car. Very easy to setup and mount.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As an Edebrock carb user I STRONGLY recommend buying the electric choke kit. You pump the pedal to set the choke and it starts without any fanfare, once warmed up you tap the pedal again to "kick" the idle down and away you go. I have NEVER had anything but headaches dealing with manual chokes... that's just my opinion. The above posters are correct, normal (warm) operation is with the chock plate open not closed.
These are great carbs!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The new engine looks GREAT except for one thing... Just out of curiousity, what thought process led to use the ductile iron 90 degree elbow on your intake manifold?

Is this a Home Depot sponsored car? ;)

Ever the smarta$$,
Dave

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DaveSanborn said:
The new engine looks GREAT except for one thing... Just out of curiousity, what thought process led to use the ductile iron 90 degree elbow on your intake manifold?

Is this a Home Depot sponsored car? ;)

Ever the smarta$$,
Dave
LOL. That was one of those last minute things to get the car running years ago.

Maybe I should change it before I put in the coolant fluid?

LOL

Home Depot sponsored car - you should the bolt I fabricated with all thread (home depot) to keep the PS pump in place. ;)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... as I said, the engine looks great! Sometimes "you've gotta do what you gotta do" in a pinch, but yeah, now that the pinch is over, buy and install a less hilarious looking elbow.

All in fun,

Dave

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
flicktra said:
As an Edebrock carb user I STRONGLY recommend buying the electric choke kit. You pump the pedal to set the choke and it starts without any fanfare, once warmed up you tap the pedal again to "kick" the idle down and away you go. I have NEVER had anything but headaches dealing with manual chokes... that's just my opinion.
+1 - And I too LOVE that 90 degree fitting! NPD sells a nice one for an aftermarket intake that'll look more correct for a car.

Otherwise - Nice lookin' engine BTW!

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey john im really sorry this is off topic but i saw that your carb linkage was a nice rod style. do you have an automatic or manual? because i bought everything to do the threaded rod linkage but then i realized i have the kickdown for the C4 and i wouldnt hit that. thanks and sorry again

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Booooooo! Where is the the McGiver spirit????

*sigh* You win! Took a hacksaw, 3/4 deep socket and some goofy wrench my neighbor tossed me to get the 90 degree elbow off but 1/2 hour or so latter - it found its proper place in the trash.

Driver side view:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193797021-engine1_30OCT07.jpg

Passenger side view:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1193797298-engine2_30OCT07.jpg

BTW - got the whole choke thing figured out. Took a little tinkering and help from you all. Got it sorted out.

Just to boot - I got the hood mounted tonight as well. Its been quite awhile since the hood has been on!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NJ6T5 said:
hey john im really sorry this is off topic but i saw that your carb linkage was a nice rod style. do you have an automatic or manual? because i bought everything to do the threaded rod linkage but then i realized i have the kickdown for the C4 and i wouldnt hit that. thanks and sorry again
I have a manual. This is a custom made linkage by 68Bucks. He's the man. I don't know exactly how he did it but it has something to do with a go cart. LOL

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Go Kart Racing, the most fun you can have sitting on your ass consuming alcohol! Then after you wreck it, you make Mustang parts out of it. ;)
Glad you like it!
Dave.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts