Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you running a 351W based engine in your 65-66 with the shock towers unmolested, do you have any pictures of the engine compartment? I've heard that they're really tight. I know they require special headers and weigh more, but there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Here's one. There are more at the link below.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nicely done car Wolfeman. Probably like many others, I've always wondered about a 351 based stroker engine in my '66, but have worried about clearance problems. Can you tell me please:
Are there any clearance problems when when the motor leans over under torque ?
I'm running a brake booster. Do you think that can still be done with the taller deck height of the 351. ?
Does that air cleaner clear a standard hood without requiring the fitment of a hood scoop ?
Any downsides to a 351 instead of a 302 in a 65/66 ?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Are there any clearance problems when when the motor leans over under torque ?
Yes. The headers I'm using (Hooker Super Comp) have 1 3/4" primary tubes, and there is only about 1/8" clearance between the front two tubes and the shock towers, so they have hit the towers under acceleration. This has caused a self-clearancing event to occur (small dent in the primarys). I suspect headers with 1 5/8" diameter primary tubes (Heddman) would not have any clearance problems.

I'm running a brake booster. Do you think that can still be done with the taller deck height of the 351. ?
I don't know.

Does that air cleaner clear a standard hood without requiring the fitment of a hood scoop ?
Yes. In fact, I'm now using a 3" tall filter element with a K&N dropped base, and the Hi-po top, under a stock hood without any problems.

Any downsides to a 351 instead of a 302 in a 65/66 ?
A few that come to mind;
You need to use engine swap headers which usually cost a bit more.
The 351 is about 60 lbs heavier.
Things are tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts