Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost time for me to purchase door panels. I'm intrigued by the ones which have "Carbon Fiber" look upholstery. My car has a black interior so I'm considering black vinyl with black carbon fiber inset. I just don't want to have these shipped only to open the box to see a tacky looking, boy racer piece. Sooo, anyone have any GOOD pics of these installed? Opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
The carbon fiber is just a look of carbon fiber. If that is what you want, that is what you get. It doesn't look that bad really but if you need a carbon fiber look then you should probably go for carbon fiber. There should also be a reason for the carbon fiber, ie. race car. Then there are all the other bits that go with it...aluminum, magnesium, gutted interior, etc. Stick with a theme or else it will look like you didn't know exactly which direction you were going with the build. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your input. In fact I already have real carbon fiber sheets to cover my instrument bezel and trim pieces, as well as on the centre console. These sheets are very good quality with a high polish. So there is a theme. I thought perhaps these door panels will continue the theme. HOWEVER if the carbon fiber "look" of the fabric/vinyl is on the cheesy side I'll stay with standard panels. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Doesn't look bad, but does resemble the pattern that GM used call Hounds Tooth. And I don't know about you, but I don't want my interior to be mistaken for anything coming from GM...:p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Doesn't look bad, but does resemble the pattern that GM used call Hounds Tooth. And I don't know about you, but I don't want my interior to be mistaken for anything coming from GM...:p
{inserts cool pic of my interior here} Well.... I was going to show you mine, it looks nice lt blue on silver... but I don't have a close pic where you can see the pattern.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
{inserts cool pic of my interior here} Well.... I was going to show you mine, it looks nice lt blue on silver... but I don't have a close pic where you can see the pattern.
I'd like to see that. I'd REALLY like to see a close up (preferably of a black cover/panel).

·
Registered
827 Posts
OK, so it sounds like you do have a plan. I see so many Mustangs that are all over the board when it comes to a theme, I just hate to see a VMF'er go that route too. In my opinion, if you do have other parts of carbon fiber in the car,interior or endine bay, then this upholstry will tie in nicely. Be sure to include alumiunum when you can and always be in favor of saving weight when you can, especially if you are using carbon fiber elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts