Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

Here are some pics of the rear end from my latest 6 cylinder project...

A little history - this was always a 6 cylinder vehicle until the previous owner threw a 302 V8 in, and neglected to upgrade anything else.

I have now returned it to being a 6 cylinder vehicle, but it looks like the damage was already done...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Anyone ever had this fixed before? Should it be easy for a local shop to fix? Or is this the kind of thing that would make it more expensive to fix than it is worth?

Thanks!

-Zim

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I would run a want ad on craigslist in your area for a 6 cyl axle. You may be able to get one for free or very little. I gave mine away when I converted to a 9". It looks like you will need a new ring and pinion gear at least. It takes special tools to set properly and it may cost you more than it is worth to repair.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I agree, look around, you should be able to find one real cheap. I've got one I'd give ya just to get out of the yard. But it would cost too much to ship.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Zim replacment rear end would be better . Haven't locked a price but about $400 or more to rebuild parts and labor just for the gear case . There are some great DIY articles to rebuild one . They take it step by step for a successfull job .

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
No reason not to upgrade to an 8" rear... except the wheels will have to change to a 5 lug (not sure if the driveshaft is the same length either).

·
Registered
486 Posts
The other thing you might think about is upgrading to an 8" from a 70-73 Comet or Maverick from a 6 cylinder car. You get the advantage of the 8" while retaining your 4 lug wheels. The only thing that might be a problem is the Maverick/Comet rear is a little narrower. Just a thought - Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts