Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

Here are some pics of the rear end from my latest 6 cylinder project...

A little history - this was always a 6 cylinder vehicle until the previous owner threw a 302 V8 in, and neglected to upgrade anything else.

I have now returned it to being a 6 cylinder vehicle, but it looks like the damage was already done...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Anyone ever had this fixed before? Should it be easy for a local shop to fix? Or is this the kind of thing that would make it more expensive to fix than it is worth?

Thanks!

-Zim

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I would run a want ad on craigslist in your area for a 6 cyl axle. You may be able to get one for free or very little. I gave mine away when I converted to a 9". It looks like you will need a new ring and pinion gear at least. It takes special tools to set properly and it may cost you more than it is worth to repair.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Zim replacment rear end would be better . Haven't locked a price but about $400 or more to rebuild parts and labor just for the gear case . There are some great DIY articles to rebuild one . They take it step by step for a successfull job .

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
No reason not to upgrade to an 8" rear... except the wheels will have to change to a 5 lug (not sure if the driveshaft is the same length either).

·
Registered
488 Posts
The other thing you might think about is upgrading to an 8" from a 70-73 Comet or Maverick from a 6 cylinder car. You get the advantage of the 8" while retaining your 4 lug wheels. The only thing that might be a problem is the Maverick/Comet rear is a little narrower. Just a thought - Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts