Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished fitting it Saturday. Overall it fits pretty well. The height of the back of the hood and the front of the hood are OK, but its a bit high in the middle of the hood. Guess you could say it's bowed a bit more than the fenders. It's as good as it gets and i'm happy with the fit. Take it off tonight and get it painted this week.

I bought the light hinge springs and I tried the hood with and without them. Either way it didn't improve the fitment...just as good either way. The hood is well balanced with them on since it takes very little effort to close the hood so i'm tempted to use them rather than using a prop rod or other means to keep the hood open. As you can see from the pics, I installed hood pins too.

In case anyone is wondering where I got the hood and springs, they came from the Mustang Depot of Las Vegas.

Next week i'm going on my annual flyfishing trip to the Sierras so the hood will have to wait 'till I get back for installation.

So what do ya think of the new look?

http://home.earthlink.net/~blkfrd/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gt500_hood1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~blkfrd/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gt500_hood3.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Very nice fit! Looks great.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yeah, I like it too...

http://richelieu.ods.org/66Mustang/Exterior-Finished/0725_front_view.jpg

::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I've always thought that the 67 Shelby hood is one of, if nto THE most beautiful hoods ever made. It just seemed not too tall, or too wide, or too long but just perfect. It looks great on that 65 too! One of the highlights to driving the 67 clone I had was looking out over that thing in red with Lemans stripes. Enjoy!! ::

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
looks very good! can't wait to see the pics after paint.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looks totaly awesome. 100% improvement over the other hood.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It's my opinion that a hood couldn't look any better. This hood has been a plan for me for sometime now. You have very fine taste.
Now don't even think about adapting 67/68 shelby upper air extractors on a 65, or 67 shelby tail lights on the same 65. I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I agree with the others. Looks really nice. Yet, I'm still partial to the 'ol Shelby scoop. They are hard to beat, but in your case, you may have one over on the Shelby hood scoop.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I like it alot!

I really started to take a liking to that hood at Knotts this year.
Been pondering the idea of swapping out my 66 GT 350 hood ever since.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
that looks sweet!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Sweeeeet ::

I have one of those in my garage that I picked up at a swap.
I laid it on my `66 Coupe and love the way it looks ::

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I think it looks great. This is the hood I was considering for mine when I get around to it. What brand is it, and did you have to do any mods to make it fit, other than play around with it?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Wow, my first thought reading the post title was "uuurrrgggh". However, that actually looks incredible! Nice!
::sniff:: Man, I miss my '67 GT350...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Looks great! You may also try putting some shims under the top attachment points for the fender to tweak/raise it up slightly to match the bow in the hood. That's what I had to do to accomodate the 1/4" gap in the NASA hood on my 72. You can't tell that the fenders are slightly tweaked at all, but you would notice the gap if the fenders weren't shimmed.

It's just a thought to try.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.