Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my doofused approach to work today, I did get quite a bit done. Here are some photos of how the rear axle looks now. All we need to do is attach the brake lines to it. Tomorrow, I'm going to work on the rear leaf springs--cleaning and detailing them--and then will start cleaning the undercarriage from front to back. It's not too bad now, but it could be better.

http://www.tucsonpony.com/mrear6.jpg

http://www.tucsonpony.com/mrear7.jpg

http://www.tucsonpony.com/munder1.jpg

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You do have a nice looking rear end!!!!!! (sorry couldn't help myself)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
WOW the underside of Murphy looks better than the sunny side of my daily driver! Nice work!!!!!!!! ::

·
Registered
405 Posts
LOOKING GOOD, KEEP IT UP

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Detailing? That thing looks pretty darned detailed to me! Looks good. The big question I have, is how did you get that thing in without scratching it? When I put my 9" in a few weeks ago, it looked as good as your when I started ... but was all scratched up by the time I had it in. Maybe it's easier with a helper? :D

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's definitely easier with a helper and there were three of us when we put it back in. We first brought the rear end over from one garage to the other on a handcart. While trying to transfer it from the handcart to a floor jack, I took my tumble so I really wasn't that much help. ::

To put it in, Chuck pushed it forward on the jack (which was padded), while his son and I balanced either side and placed the seats on to the leaf springs. Then, we jacked up each leaf spring and the axle was in place. Also, this is only an 8-inch, which was a lot easier than the 9-inch we put in my fastback. It's not as top heavy. When we first put the freshly painted rear end in Trouble, I couldn't hold it balanced on the jack and it rolled forward and hit the floor after which we had to repaint it. :(

G

·
0 Posts
if you look closely, the wheel is not attached, it is propped up against the wall.

G

·
0 Posts
Looks much better. Some more suggestions.... the red dye on the shock plate u-bolt nuts didnt show up until '69. unless you know for a fact that your car had them, i would leave them cadmium.
you need to trim down your exhaust clamp studs on the backside clamp on the muffler to match your clamp on the other side. I don't remember about '68, but earlier models had the pipes welded on both sides of the muffler.
last, wipe off that C7ZZ part number on the back of the valence. The second "Z" of ZZ means it's a service part. you will never see any original factory part on a mustang with this designation. If there was any part number on the valence(which i doubt there was), it would have been of the format C7ZA, C7ZB.... etc... I have seen high end restorations that the owners like to show off all their "ZZ" parts by leaving stickers and stamps. I would probably make a deduction for this.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Wow! That looks way better than my I6's rear covered with rust and California Central Valley silt and mud. My solution is tossing the rear and slapping in an 8"...

It's great to see what they're supposed to look like back in the era. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That does look kind of weird with the tires, doesn't it? :: Both of cars are concours trailered, so they'll travel safely inside the enclosed trailers. I used to tow my coupe on an open trailer and I still had to spend almost as much time cleaning the car as if I had driven it. Open trailers offer very little protection, and mine even had a front shield and a solid floor. I like the box much better! I hope you can make it to the show, we need to have a VMF get-together there. ::

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Charles! The problem with the red nuts is I used to leave it off and every single show I lost points for not having it. I believe you're correct, but I got tired of arguing the point and put the red on. What's even more maddening is losing points for having installation scratches on the nuts--considering you can't install them without scratching them most of the time. I'll remove those numbers on the rear valance, I thought that was wrong. I had to replace that back in 1976 after my dad pushed my car up a hill and around a corner with his car when the battery died (against my wishes, of course). At least the damage was worse to his car. ;)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Congratulations!
Nice job!
You concourse people amaze me ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts