Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked for pics in my post about these earlier so I present them to you now. Remember these were built as prototypes so they are NOT as finished as the production pieces will be. I have not tried them out yet since my car is in eleventy billion pieces but as soon as I find someone who'll let test them on their car I'll let you know my findings. ::

They don't look that difficult to build, especially if you know much about electronics. Price would depend on the cost of the LEDs themselves since it varies so much.

http://www.boomspeed.com/jpony645/Mvc-002f.jpg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Could easily be built with a trip to Radio Shack. Heck, maybe I'll build my own, have not had any real major "figure it out" type jobs since the Autometer conversion years ago.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
How are all the LEDs tied together on the backside? Is there any "special" type part for the power source for them all?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
If you want to try them out on my car I would be willing to be a test case.

John Harvey

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Josh if you bring them by sometime, we can do some testing. I'd be interested in the amperage draw, as well as brightness. In fact, we can install them in Coppertone until you're down to eleventy thousand pieces. ::

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice work but why? Are LED's much brighter? I wonder if there is a big difference between a normal bulb in a shiny reflector and LED's.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice work but why? Are LED's much brighter? I wonder if there is a big difference between a normal bulb in a shiny reflector and LED's.
LEDs draw less current, lumen for lumen, then incandescent bulbs. They also have an extraordinarily long lifespan.

By using more LEDs, you can achieve much brighter illumination with the same or less current and have something that will virtually never wear out.

Nearly all of the municipalities where I live (Bay Area, California) have replaced their red & green stoplight bulbs with LED assemblies. The power savings alone eventually pays for the conversion, and the maintenance is almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Those look identical to the ones in my car.. here is a pic
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/96/BA/17472918-a222-02000155-.jpg
blkstlln

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
So these LED arrays don't create the kind of heat that the halogen tail light bulbs do? I can see how they plug into the tail light socket, but how do they mount inside the reflector. How about turn signal and brake functions? Do they use some of the array for tail lighting and all of the array for braking and turning?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think by the time you buy the LED's & board, it would be
more economical to buy these. Their website states they have
96 LED's per board. Depending on where you buy the LED's,
you'll pay between 50 cents to $1.25 a piece for them.
These assemblies cost $65 a piece.
Just MHO, but they seem to be cheaper buying them already
assembled.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
The reason for the replacment of the red lights with LEDs is that they now strobe the light when it goes red. That makes it very hard to miss the change.

They also will never have to replace a bulb again and probably save a bunch of $$$ over the course of time.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
From personal experience, Blkstlln's lights are brighter than sh*t!!!! Was behind him one day and he hit the breaks and woke me up!!!

They look great though.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
How are you supposed to mount those?

The ones that I paid a lot more $$$ for look much more "finished" and mount between the lense and the base.

I'll take some pics tonight and put them on my website for all to see.

The price on my "much more expensive" units came down a bunch too :( I got caught on the bleeding edge again, dangit ::

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think these sandwich in the same way but I haven't tried them yet. As for the "finish", these were built as prototypes so they are still kind of raw.

I'd be interested in seeing yours, Kent. :: That's what happens when you're on the leading edge of technology. ::

·
Registered
359 Posts
The reason for the replacment of the red lights with LEDs is that they now strobe the light when it goes red. That makes it very hard to miss the change.
While they do in fact strobe, I think the real motivation for the switch was entirely financial. Otherwise, they wouldn't have replaced the green ones as well, most of them in a second round of conversion.

Strangely enough, when Sunnyvale first started making the switch a few years ago, one city official was asked by a newspaper (I can't remember which one) about the strobe effect on the red lights. The official insisted that the new assemblies do not strobe, that it was an optical illusion. I'm still amused by this today, several years later.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics; I had been considering building something like that. Can they be set to "sequence" when you use the turn signal?

IIRC, you've gotta remove the standard flasher unit and replace it with an electronic one, otherwise the LEDs won't cycle on-off for the turn signals and emergency flashers. Did the parts come with any instructions of that nature?

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
We'll be assembling our own for Trouble's sequential taillights soon. I'll post pictures when we get to work on them--probably be in about a month.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts