Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger son wanted a 94-98 boss convertible, I found this 95 that Swmbo and I bought him and it was a plain laser red convertible. So using her Boss for a template I painted all the stripes on this laser red vert. I did this all left handed because as "Nick has so gratiously put it us older crowd guys have problems with our backs and shoulders. I just had shoulder surgery and it still hurts BAD!!!! so I did the stripes one handed and painted left handed for the first time in my life. hope the kid likes it!!!! Take a look and see what you think. P.S. the stripes on the rear are to cover up someones initials. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1713704&uid=851574&members=1

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I guess i cant be mad at you... it is a 6 after all

·
Registered
858 Posts
im disapointed..this makes me dislike ur kid to be honest lol, i HATE spoiled kids w\their mommies and daddys that buy them cars ::i honestly do, it ticks me off sooo damn much that i work my @ss off to get what i want or like, and some kid ask their parents to get them 1 because the parents now are like...oh we dont want u to sacrifice ur education for work. hell, i worked 6-7 day weeks and i STILL kept up my grades and graduated just this year with almost 40 credits ABOVE what i was required :p not to mention getting a few certificates/awards from the damn school...it just really gets to me when i work my butt off and u see kids getting free rides ::

G

·
We all want to give are children what we can. If they can afford such a gift, fine. Notice it isn't a 2003 Mustang or Saleen. The problem arises when such children take the gifts for granted and then expect more. If this car is promptly trashed then I can see your rant but if the gift is to a responsible kid then I see no problem.
My first car was a VW and I worked to pay it all myself because my parents couldn't afford to buy me a car. They did what they could to help finance my big $2800 new car.

My son expects nothing from me in terms of a car. He knows I would love to give him one but finances aren't there. It all depends on the family.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I shoulde clear this up for you, This boy worked on the yard all summer and any free time was spent working on a 1987 LX hatchback. I got the hatchback for $400 and we switched an engine computer and all the wiring in the entire car because of non compatibility. He has since gone home to his mother where he has lived for the past 4 years. He has also gotten his license, and now wants this $400 LX hatchback. I still haven't finished the wiring and gotten it running and the 95 vert came up which is what he was working towards next year. So, It was easier to buiy the 95 than it was to crawl under the 87 with a bad shoulder to do the wiring on this car. So I paid $1300 for this car and $43 for paint for the stripes and now he will get the car he wanted next summer. He also knows he is responsible for the cost of insurance and registrations and all needed repairs on the car. He is also aware that if he beats the car to death or wrecks it he is also standing on his own, he will get his first car from me but he also had to work on one all summer to try to get it ready just so he would know what was involved in putting this altogether for him. Now if you still don't like my son O-well, I think he has worked hard enough and long enough for the car.

·
Registered
858 Posts
eh yea thats just my opinion, because no one has helped me what so ever, i just work for it...6-7 day weeks suck lol :p
im lucky that my parents are letting me on their insurance lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
The mustang looks good. And what a great Dad. I remember asking my Dad for my first car when I was 15. He grabbed me by the hair,pushed me out the front door and told me to get a @#*%!*% job. I pumped gas after school, then worked evenings at a pizza joint. My first ride came later that year. A rusty old 71 Ford pickup.Even though it was junky, I loved it so much because it was mine and I worked for the money to buy it.
Let your son read this so he can appreciate his impending good fortune.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Define "normal". Back then I thought he was the worst parent in the world. As I grew older and wiser I realized it was his way of teaching me some responsibility. I watched the kids in my high school get new cars from thier daddys . I also watched them go out and tear them up because they had no concept of value.
My home, business, and all my toys including the mustang collection were purchased with the money from "MY" hard work and determination. An admirable trait taught to me by my mean old father!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have worked for years to get what I have starting with my first car. I know what it is to have to work for what you want, because I never had anything given to me. But I made him work all summer in hopes of getting a 4 cylinder 1987 LX hatchback. when this came along for the price I paid , I couldn't let it go by and the deal I made with my son was he was to work on the 87 and he could have itand if he kept the 87 in one piece for a year and saved some money I would help him buy a 94-98 mustang 6 cylinder. this just came up to fast. I am giving him this car, because it is safer thean the 87 without airbags. this has disc brakes all the way around and they are anti locks. just a much nicer car. He will have to work to keep it nice and if he keeps it nice when he comes to visit next summer we will paint the car. If he chooses to trash the car then hes on his own. Iwanted to get him something nice because I am not around the corner where he can call for help if it breaks down, and I want to put him in something safer than what I bought for my first car!!!! I know what the first car can be. He knows because of his sister and her firebird that if he screws this up he will have to find his own. He doesn't even know what he is getting, he still thinks I am bringing the 87 hatchback out to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts