Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a request for photographs of your original 1966 Mustang horns; high and low tone. I am looking to purchase a set of original horns for my 1966 (mid-year production date). I purchased my Mustang partially disassembled and the horns were misplaced somewhere along the way. Of particular interest is how to recognize the correct shape and mounting brackets. I am told that the 1966 and 1965 horns are different as the locating feature (tab) on the bracket changed year to year. I am also told that the reproduction horns that are available are the 1965 locator design and the reproduction horns are held together with screws instead the proper rivets. Please help me know what the correct, original horns for my 1966 should look like. Pictures as mounted on the car are very useful. Please e-mail pictures to: [email protected]. Thank you. Rick (aka: Engineer)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Here are the 1965 horns
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL847/1785303/3437215/303921173.jpg
The top of the mounting bracket has a ^ shape to it and an embossed "dot" that fits into the hole in the radiator support.

Here are the 1966 horns
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL847/1785303/3437215/303921168.jpg
The top of the mounting bracket has a bent over tab that goes into the hole in the radiator support.

Other than the mounting bracket, the horns are the same. The reproduction horns do use philips head screws to hold the 2 pieces of the horn body together while the original horns use a flat headed rivet.

Also, I pulled these pictures from eBay. They are Ford horns, but may or may not be Mustang horns (the mounting bracket "clock positioning" differs between Ford models). These pictures are only used to show the difference in the mounting brackets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts