Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gkrikorian/tqprob.JPG

First of all, it's hard to see how hard the edge (A) is jammed up against the side of the frame rail (took a lot of hammering to get it that far).. The problem is, A has to fit OVERTOP of B, which is sticking out about 1.5 inches (picture doesn't seem to show that well either).. This probably wouldn't be THAT big of a deal if C (which you REALLY can't see), extends to under the framerail about 3 inches, so there is no room to maneuver.. Anyone see what i'm getting at? I suck at explaining it.. It's from NPD.. looks like the only option might be, as someone suggested, to cut it into 2 pieces and weld it back together? I'd rather avoid that, but if i took a big hammer to get it that far in, there is no way I'm going to be able to bend A overtop of B.. :) Thanks guys! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the t-box DOES not go over that lip. If the floor was installed it would be welded there and then it would be even more impossible to get it over that lip.

The box welds in a few major spots, and that is not one of them.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you sure? I vividly remember cutting it off of there.. but.. perhaps I am insane.. If it doesn't go there, why does everyone say you have to cut it in half?
Man, my memory tells me that i DID cut the old one off there..

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No passenger side torque boxes on 67's.. Thats as wide as I can go and still get a picture without the door sill in the way.. Any other input? Thanks guys! Appreciate it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
hi
just resently replace one in a 70 mach and yes the lip does go over the top part of the frame rail but how i installed mine was the lip on A section of your pic i bent it up then finished intsalling it and then bent the lip back down and welded it in place just like the original,it was no easy task but i did it with out splitting the box or destroying it. i didnt worry about the looks because the toe boards cover it when job is complete

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If it helps, take a look at my torque box
www.longbros.com/richjr look at the progress pictures. All I replaced on the drivers side was the bottom, I left the original top plate in.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'll throw in one thing to check. I ran into this same problem on my '70 last winter. The NPD repro box was not very accurate. I bought a different manufacturer's repro torque box from CJ Pony Parts, and it fit MUCH better. And I don't use CJ's any more, after a couple of incidents, so it shows how much the different box saved me.

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts