Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 1966 vert and am looking to get a new front glass. I've been to the usual suspects Summit, CJ's and NPD and to give one example CJ's wants 200.00 for the glass and 239.00 for shipping. I am not too particular about the manufacture, doesn't have to be carlite. This is the response I got from a local glass shop in the New Orleans area.

For a "Hand Over" windshield, you are looking at $155 plus tax. That would include the glass and the gasket/weather stripping ( 2 days for delivery). If you are not in need of the weather stripping the price would be $135.00 and currently in stock. I tried to search for the manufacture's name, however it does not show it on the website. However, I asked and was told the aftermarket glasses are usually "Pilkington '' glasses.

Anybody have a Pinkerton windshield in their car? Seems like a good deal to me, Thoughts?
stang1.jpg

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
My 71 has a Pilkington windshield that I bought from Mustangs Unlimited in 2006. No issues and no defects in the glass.

·
Radar
6,966 Posts
Rick from NPD (@69bossnine who would know about such things) says Carlite is the best quality. I don't have that on my car...yet. I have something else, that was cheap, from somewhere in Minnesota or maybe Wisconsin. After 2 1/2 years and 15K miles it's already uniformly pitted and has required one Safelite repair. When the time comes I'll be getting NPD# 03100-2B, Carlite '65-'68 mustang tinted, and probably make a run to Charlotte to pick it up and avoid shipping charges. @Kelly_H (who drives a bajillion miles and much of it highway) has said she's replaced multiple windshields on "Jane". I'll hazard a guess that means not Carlite, something else, but maybe she'll pipe up and say here. It seems to me the cost of the different glass makes can vary somewhat and you get the quality you pay for. It's the shipping costs that can really zap you.

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
Is it Carlite or just some windshield that has the carlite acid etched into it?

Old thread about how to etch carlite into the glass.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,982 Posts
Rick from NPD (@69bossnine who would know about such things) says Carlite is the best quality. I don't have that on my car...yet. I have something else, that was cheap, from somewhere in Minnesota or maybe Wisconsin. After 2 1/2 years and 15K miles it's already uniformly pitted and has required one Safelite repair. When the time comes I'll be getting NPD# 03100-2B, Carlite '65-'68 mustang tinted, and probably make a run to Charlotte to pick it up and avoid shipping charges. @Kelly_H (who drives a bajillion miles and much of it highway) has said she's replaced multiple windshields on "Jane". I'll hazard a guess that means not Carlite, something else, but maybe she'll pipe up and say here. It seems to me the cost of the different glass makes can vary somewhat and you get the quality you pay for. It's the shipping costs that can really zap you.
Nope, I use Carlite windshields these days! I have had a Pilkington one though in the past and it was very good - the only thing "wrong" with it is that it doesn't have the Carlite label. Otherwise the fit and finish is exactly the same, or near enough that I never could tell the difference. Didn't have any trouble sealing it up watertight so I would assume it was fine.

My local glass shop has 3 choices for me: the Pilkington glass, the Carlite "normal" glass (whatever that means), and the Carlite concours-correct glass. The concours glass is obviously much more expensive, probably because it has to be special-ordered I would guess. The Carlite "normal" was (3 years ago) about 20 bucks more expensive than the Pilkington glass. When I bought my last windshield 3 years ago, it was $175 or so and I just picked it up at the place across the street from my work.

I go through windshields like crazy because I seem to eat rocks all day long. Haven't had any last long enough to crack or pit on their own so I guess I can't speak to the longevity there. Both seem equally resistant (rather, unresistant) to large chunks of gravel and small boulders hitting them at 70+MPH 🤪

Anyways, there's your answer. You should be able to get a Carlite-branded windshield for a reasonable price if you check around, but a Pilkington one is just fine.

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Registered
32 Posts
if it's a pilkington glass it's a very nice windshield , they've been an oe manufacturer for many makes over the decades. they were formerly LOF or Libbey Owens Ford

the "usually" has me worried , make sure it's a pilkington when you go to pick it up. the gasket is probably made by a company called precision

·
Registered
32 Posts
the carlite-concours glass is probably coming from pilkington classics

they'll not only put a time period correct logo but also the manufacture numbers will be time period correct also , all the numbers usually below the manufacture logo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts