Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A while back I mentioned the solution too my clutch always dragging for many years was to find a non magnetic bushing. A lot of top names don't know what there selling. There not pure bronze. Some have a lot of Iron and even limestone mix in. The bushing will micro weld and increase the wear on the input tip heating it up and have slight blue color. Summit agree to let me order and return the ones I found bad. Out of 6 only one was totally non magnetic. No more drag or wear. Happy camper now.

One brand name didn't know the difference between a bushing and a steel bearing.
So, what brand was non magnetic?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nailbender if the hole in the crank is oversized/wallowed out you may still have a problem even with sleeve retainer. I would mic that thing out and maybe bore it and sleeve it to the proper size, no more worries

·
Just some guy
20,000 Posts
Given that a pilot bushing is simply common oilite bronze it would be pretty simple for a machine shop to turn you a custom size for an interference fit. No superglue Loctite needed.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I've been running a "bearing" in my 331 since 2010. As I recall, it was a "tap" in. If you feel there is too little interference fit, then, the "sleeve" juice is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The problem to the solution is I have no access to a competent machine shop. I’ll try the juice, and if that doesn’t work, epoxy!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts