Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be finishing my T10 rebuild this weekend. I had planned on using a pilot bearing and already have it in place. When the builder at the tranny shop where I got the parts looked things over for me he noticed some small marks on the part of the input shaft that goes in the pilot. They are a result of removing the old pilot bushing material that had stuck to the shaft.

I had already cleaned it up and polished it with emery cloth so all that is left are a couple of minor low spots. He recommended staying with a pilot bushing as those marks would cause a bearing to fail sooner but he felt a bushing would be ok.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
It seems to me that if you have an irregular surface on the input shaft, it would be better to have a bearing , because the shaft doesnt spin inside a bearing, the bearing does the spinning... Where as, when you use a bushing the shaft actually spins inside the bushing, and could cause excessive wear if you have the irregular surface.... Does that make sense? :: Thats my opinion, does anyone agree or disagree?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Actually, the input shaft spins against the needle bearings, which in turn, spin against the outer race. The rotation/inertia of the spinning needle bearings cause the needle bearings to rotate around the pilot shaft as group while they spin.

Imperfections on the input shaft like a heavy scratch can disrupt the rotation of the needle bearings and even stop them. Once that happens, they become nothing more than tinny little bushings and wear out in short order.

Pilot Bushings on the other hand have an impregnated lubricant and are designed for high friction application. Given the condition of your input shaft I agree with your mechanic….. Go with the Pilot Bushing. But if the shaft were new, or glass smooth, I’d go with the Pilot Bearing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts