Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me whether or not the pinch welds along the rocker panels of my San Jose built, Candyapple Red, 67 GT 350 were blacked out at the factory?

If so, what type of paint should I use to black them out (can and gun, please)?

Thanks

wjj

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
The book I have says:

PINCH WELD........Blacked Out; '64 1/2 - 70 some painted body color, usually dark colored cars.

I would black them out, did so on my Red BOSS and it looks much better.

I used Krylon #1613, Bagged off rocker panels, scuffed up newly painted pinch welds with a ScotchBrite Pad, wiped it down, then shot it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Most likely the pinch welds were blacked out on your 67. Don't forget the pinch weld begins under the front fender and goes all the way to the end of the 1/4 panel.

As for paint color, do you want to open the same can of worms between Charles Turner and me?? Most folks will use a semi-gloss black spray bomb. From my research on unrestored, low mileage Mustangs, I believe the pinch welds were blacked out using a glossier than semi-gloss black paint. I used PPG base coat black (no clear) out of a Sata mini-jet with a 1.0 mm cap.

Regards,

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Pete

On the paint subject...I noticed that one of your associates, Jeff Speegle, lists on his website, both the DP-90 and DAR 9000 as paints to be used in the engine compartment.

I'm very happy with the color...thanks again.

Bill

wjj

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How do you mask the lower sill?
Is there a tape-off line on the rocker? How far does it extend toward the outside rolled edge of the rocker?

I would guess that the factory had some sort of reusable slip-on mask guard and that the line on the bottom (horizontal plane) of the rocker would be somewhat fuzzy.
Or, was there some guy sitting in the 'pit' with a spray gun doing it by eye with the gun's fan set to horizontal?

BossBill (Soon to be painting the floor pans on his 67 GT350)

·
Registered
406 Posts
In my opinion, I think the latter is more accurate method as to how the pinch welds were blacked out. interestingly, I have seen a couple of unrestored mustangs with only one side blacked out.

The black out line on the rocker panel is always somewhat fuzzy and I have not found it to be in a consistent location with mustangs from the same assembly plant. I do not believe any masking was done. The black out appears to have been sprayed at an angle to the body (as opposed to perpendicular with the ground) and the overspray carrying 2-3 inches onto the floor pans before it fades out onto the rest of the floor pans. Visually, with a 5" spray fan, ~2" was on the outside of the pinch weld and ~3" on the floor pan. Also, the pinch weld itself blocks the paint from reaching the floor pan next to the weld.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Thank you Pete.
An excellent explanation!

BossBill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts