Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Pinging noise?

444 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Abejauregui
Can you guys help me determine where this pinging noise might be coming from? Sounds like it’s coming near the passenger rear of the engine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,121 Posts
If get a cheap stethoscope to zero in the location of the noise, they are quite good at that. Most pinging noises posted here turn out to be exhaust leaks.

· Registered
500 Posts
If you have room to get in there, I find it quicker and more accurate to put gloves on and feel around the exhaust manifolds on a cold startup. ✋ Not only can you feel an exhaust leak, but it will change sound.

· Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
2,764 Posts
A 3 ft piece of old garden hose, hold up to your ear, move around in the compartment till you find the noise.
Works every time.
Where were you with that advice 30 years ago? Would’ve saved me a lot of grief Lol 🤪

· Registered
45,104 Posts
ofcourse. But should I match the header port that is oval, or the port from engine that is rectangle. I’m guessing a rectangle to catch the corners?
It doesn't matter as long as there is a mating surface between the header flange and cylinder head all the way around the port of sufficient width to seal it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts