Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Mustang with tach harnesses (engine and dash)

There is a pink wire near the ignition switch. Where does it connect to? Also, where does it go in the harness? I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

I have installed Pertronix. Do I need to be concerned about the pink wire at all?

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
The pink wire is the resistance wire for the coil. It goes from the ignition switch to the firewall. If you are using Pertronix I, you can use the stock wiring, including the pink wire.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I connected the main plug to the back of the ignition switch along with the ring connection on the back stud.

The pink wire has a male bullet connector on it. I don't see a connection on the ignition switch for it.

Where does the wire go from the firewall?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Ok. I connected the main plug to the back of the ignition switch along with the ring connection on the back stud.
If you have a factory tach, the ignition lead connects to teh tach, and the tach connects to the pink wire.

The pink wire has a male bullet connector on it. I don't see a connection on the ignition switch for it.
If not, someone has clipped it off.

Should look like this:

Where does the wire go from the firewall?
Directly to the coil.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I have confused both of us but now I think I can explain it better:

I have TWO pink wires. One is tied to the black w/green and I have that connected to the back of the ignition.

There is another pink wire a few inches up the harness with a male bullet connector. This is the one I am stuck on. Does it maybe go to the cluster?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Alright, I have confused both of us but now I think I can explain it better:

I have TWO pink wires. One is tied to the black w/green and I have that connected to the back of the ignition.

There is another pink wire a few inches up the harness with a male bullet connector. This is the one I am stuck on. Does it maybe go to the cluster?
There should be only one pink wire per car. How about a photo?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The red wire going to my cluster faded to pink.

The pink resistance wire goes from the ign sw to the firewall, where it's joined with another wire (green or blue maybe?) and then continues to the 3 prong connector that passes thru the firewall for coil, oil pressure and engine temp. There's a brown wire that is charged during solenoid start, that gives full voltage at the point where the pink resistance and the other wire are joined. This gives the coil extra voltage to the coil during start only.

This is a non tach car.

I ran my pertronix with lower voltage, and it worked fine. Others may have had issues

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Everyone alwys talks about bypassing the pink wire for a Pertronix. I have never even SEEN my pink wire & I have been ruuning a Pertronix for 3 years with no problem.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Everyone alwys talks about bypassing the pink wire for a Pertronix. I have never even SEEN my pink wire & I have been ruuning a Pertronix for 3 years with no problem.
I've installed a bunch of Pertronix I units with no alteration to the wiring. Runs very well. That said, Pertronix does recommend bypassing the resistor. Easy to do, and no cutting required.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've installed a bunch of Pertronix I units with no alteration to the wiring. Runs very well. That said, Pertronix does recommend bypassing the resistor. Easy to do, and no cutting required.

Doesn't eliminating the ballast cause problems with the factory deluxe tach? Thought I heard that in the dim past.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not trying to hijack this, but for 22GT, how do you bypass the resistor without cutting into the wiring?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts