Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Pinto high back seats similar to that of the High Backs used in the Mach 1s?

Do they utilize the same seat track?

Are they a simple install?

Enlighten me.

·
I won a special award
7,410 Posts
It's been about 27 years since I owned a Pinto. The style is similar to a 69-73 Mustang. But I can't tell you about the seat track width. Mustang seats are held in with 4 bolts that are accessed from the underside of the car.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Why would you put in Pinto seats? Why not go with 90's style ones? Way more comfortable.
Stan

·
Registered
332 Posts
agree with aslan, unless you already have a set of seats lined up for a great price or for some reason love the style then go with the pinto

if not...

CL always has some 90's style seats for cheap! I picked up a complete set from a 98 Cobra for $50 (fronts and rear bench). They were tan leather but are in the process of getting reupholstered to black, $400 for the three seats and custom headliner

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found them at the junk yard, and stuff is 50 % off, Id like to reupholster them, give them the 65 style, but just with a high back. Can't find a mach 1 to pull them out of, and this looks to be the next best thing. Its a 45 minute commute to pick them up. Kinda wish I would've got under the car to check.

I feel like 90's seats would be nice, but would be hard to achieve the same look. And would possibly have to do some track modifications.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I could be wrong, and its also been MANY years since I owned a Pinto: I think the tracks are different than an early Mustang, but I'm thinking you can swap the tracks.
I think most EARLY Pinto seats were very hard and uncomfortable, so unless you've found later ones, I'd look at Fox-body Mustangs for nice seats, there are upholstery sets made for these now that look like the original Pony interiors of '65-'66.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive seen the fox body seat swaps, with the factory styled interior for 65 on them, not my cup of tea.

I like the high backs, I imagine they would be similar, the ones I found where off of a mercury station wagon thing that looked like a pinto from the front. They didn't feel very hard. The seats need to be upholstered, but the foam on them looked in good condition.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be wrong, and its also been MANY years since I owned a Pinto: I think the tracks are different than an early Mustang, but I'm thinking you can swap the tracks.
I think most EARLY Pinto seats were very hard and uncomfortable, so unless you've found later ones, I'd look at Fox-body Mustangs for nice seats, there are upholstery sets made for these now that look like the original Pony interiors of '65-'66.
The TMI kit they make for them does look really nice, and the seat adjustment mechanism that makes the back portion move fore and aft, is way better than older set ups. Do the seat mounting studs align with the factory holes? Or will I need to be doing some welding?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts