Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Pitman arm and gearbox issue

1885 Views 40 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  CHOCK
I have a 1967 mustang v8 manual steering car. My dad bought it new in 1966 so it is an early model. I needed to replace my steering components since they were pretty worn out.

I bought a Lares 18702 which has a 1" sector shaft which is what my car had from the factory as my tag was smb-a. I bought a 1 inch sector shaft pitman arm using part number c7za-3590-a which according to stangersite that should be my part number.

Now my issue is that I cannot get the pitman arm to go over the sector shaft by more than maybe 20%. Did I miss something in my parts ordering? Has anyone else ran into something like this?

Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim Automotive wheel system
Font Auto part Bicycle part Balance Hand tool

Azure Font Technology Screenshot Parallel
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Premium Member
10,850 Posts
I would still measure with a micrometer to be SURE. I trust original a lot more than Lares.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torque the pitman to 100 FT Pounds or as the Ford manual states a bit more.
If the nut is flush with the sector, CRUISE-
I'll bet it will be.
You are dealing with taper fit, It will not slide all the way on, then adding the fact of a new sector vs a 60 year old sector in comparing.

Both the pitman arm and the gearbox are brand new. I thought about it just being on as much as it would go but it's on by maybe 20% of the pitman around the sector. Ok wouldn't it need to be more on than that?

I misread. Sorry. No the but is not flush with the sector. If it was close to being so I would be driving.

· Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,367 Posts
What is those 2 "wings" you can see on the first pic on top of the pitman? It don't look like anything I recognize.
Looks like a wire twisted around it, maybe to show how far it went on??

Reactions: ma67cpe

· Agitator
7,367 Posts
This looks like a wire wrapped around it. If so, why?

Gas Tints and shades Auto part Metal Bumper

Reactions: ma67cpe

· Premium Member
1,476 Posts
The wire looks like it might be from a tag.

Do you still have the original steering box? If you do, return the one you bought have have @CHOCK rebuild the original. That is the best way to go here.

Reactions: zray

· Agitator
7,367 Posts
not familiar with Lares either. Do you have the Pitman clocked correctly? Did you buy a new Pitman or is this the old one?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts