Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mocking up the under-dash AC unit...just using it for the vents.

I had read somewhere that it mounted using existing holes under the dash, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my car.

Here's a picture with the left bracket mounted in the same hold that the under-dash light mounts too.

The unit is offset from center by 7/8". Is it supposed to be centered in the cab?
If using the existing hole on the left side, there is no holes on the right side.

There is another hole to the right of the one I'm using (don't know what it's for). But if I use that, then the unit will be offset to the right side.

What's the correct placement? Do I just center it and drill my own holes?

I think I may have a 66 unit...didn't the 65 units have the black camera case finish? I kinda like the silver face, so I'm fine with it not being 'correct'....but were the brackets different? I have a 66 dash hanging up on my wall and the holes are the same, so no difference with the car sheet metal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Experts will chime in here, but I seem to recall it ends up slightly towards pass side, (7/8"?) ..allows leg room for driver..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Dan, when I put in my under dash unit I used the Driver's existing hole for the AC mounting bracket, but the passenger one was about 1/2" off so I drilled a new hole. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out and moved it over. It lines up to existing holes.

Looks just that that original car pic i posted above. Problem solved.

Peter..did you just hang it from the bracket or did you use that extra bolt/leg that was originally bellow the fan motor housing too? I think it will need a third leg to stop it from wobbling about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
-You got the right holes now. The evaporator is intentionally offset to the right to give room for the driver's right foot.
-As @Dan Babb mentioned: it is supported by the single foot bolt. The two dash fasteners keep it from twisting and tipping.
-Argent is correct on a '65 unit. Camera case black is for '66s.
-You might consider checking out the autorestomod video on youtube for guidance on sprucing up the core and faceplate of your evaporator.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You want the 3rd/back leg(which is adjustable) to be able to support the back and make it a really solid mounting.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
There should also be a cover on the right side to cover the drain hose to keep it from being kicked loose.
I had one but left the drain hose cover off. I is huge compared to the size of the hose it is meant to protect. Takes up a lot of space and , I think, really uglies up the interior. Really ruins the symmetry (yes I know the AC unit itself is not centered/symmetrical). I trust my wife to not kick the hose at all let alone hard enough to break off the snot on the AC box that it connects to.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
The Argent front is correct for dealer installed air too, apparently, and I think it looks better with the woodgrain or camera case than a camera case front would look with the woodgrain dash. I have seen a couple people make a woodgrain applique to go on the AC to match the dash trim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts