Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good OEM hood that has several coats of old paint on it, otherwise it's in great condition. I have been told by some hear on VMF that media blasting the paint off will cause the hood to warp. I talked to the folks at the shop and they said that is why they use plastic media for this type of job. Anyone ever had a body panel plastic media blasted? If so, how did it work out?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regular sand blasting can cause enough heat to build up that if not done carefully can warp sheet metal panels. Media blasting uses differnt combinations of plastic media, walnut shells, some sand and other abrasive materials to keep this from happening. The shop locally that does this has a very good reputation for getting good results. I will have my 70FB done this summer.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had my car done last year. They did warp the drivers QP but the rest of the car was in great shape when it was done

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had two cars plastic media blasted to bare metal with no ill effects whatsoever.

Like most things, it's all in the hands of the operator. If you get some gomer to blast away at it for super cheap, odds are he'll screw it up. I used a place in Phoenix called Enviro Stripping Technology and the guy is a Jedi. If you have 4 layers of paint he can take off 1, 2, 3, or all 4 if you like. He can take off the paint and leave the primer. He can take off the paint & primer and leave the bondo. He can take off the primer and leave the paint.

(just kidding about that last one)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
LOL SUre had me scratching on the last one. Lucky I caught the last of your response at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, these folks have been doing this for 15 years and claim they have never had a problem using the plastic media.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you looked on line at the Eastwood site regards "soda" blasting? Its supposed to be easy and affordable enough for you to do it yourself. Also supposed to be safer for the surface than beads and other media.

·
Registered
182 Posts
valveguy said:
Have you looked on line at the Eastwood site regards "soda" blasting? Its supposed to be easy and affordable enough for you to do it yourself. Also supposed to be safer for the surface than beads and other media.
There's a soda blasting place nearby that looks like they do nice work. From everything I've seen it's a great way to strip a car, but there's one wrinkle. When it's over, the car is left with a residue on the surface that must be neutralized or you won't be able to paint the car. You neutralize it with plain old water, so it's not that big a deal. You just have to very thoroughly wash your bare-metal car and then obviously dry the heck out of it as best you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts