Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang Parts Vendors;
Please, if you're gonna spend the bucks to have a particular part reproduced in your Asian country of choice, spend the extra bucks and make it a duplicate (In terms of quality and appearance). Some of the stuff out there is so poor, that I refuse to consider it even for a daily driver. We consumers will be glad to pay extra for a OEM quality part!

And those of us that buy this stuff, complain often and loudly about the poor quality of the repo stuff... Send it back with an explanation that the part is not up to the quality that you'd expect.
Many times, there are two or three lines of products, the vendor goes with what will bring in the biggest margin.
As Ford gets out of the old car parts business, if we don't speak up and demand quality parts, we'll see more cheap repos offered for sale (and more broken-down vintage Mustangs!)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'm hoping VMF'ers will post the names of those vendors who do offer high quality repro parts so folks like myself who don't buy often can be steered in the right direction.

If those vendors with poor quality parts get ignored and/or charged back often enough, maybe they'll get the message, eh?? *G*

Voting with wallet and feet are very big motivators in business, IME...

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Art, usually it is not the vendors that have parts made. Typically, vendors buy from distributors and companies that make the parts (e.g. Scott Drake, American Designer, Scott Carpenter), and resell them retail via our favorite catalogs and stores. Your rant should be directed at the manufacturers, rather than the vendors.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality. Rarely is anyone in this hobby that can't afford a few extra bucks. Well, I guess the teenagers may be, but they have 'rents that have all the extra dough! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Art, I share you comments and frustration. We must be aware though that from a business perspective there is a great deal to consider.
A major problem is finding the actual manufacturers that are typically in the Far East or Pacific Rim. This information is usually a very closely guarded secret. The whole manufacturing/marketing process in the Mustang parts area should be directed at the end consumer without whom the manufacturers and the various levels of distributorships would not exist. This is exactly the case with everyday consumer goods that are marketed to the masses. As long as their substandard Mustang crap sells and there is no higher quality competition, crap is all that will be available. The other side of the coin is the expense of tooling that is required for many of the after market parts. A company is not going to spend big bucks on expensive hard tooling without knowing the potential market and what the ROI will be.

G

·
0 Posts
Knowing from previous experiences that the vendors have more than 1 supplier for the same part, what I usually do when I place an order is tell them I prefer all MADE IN THE USA parts. If you dont ask they will first send you the inferior part as theres more profit on there end. As im on the phone placing the order I specifically ask about manufacturers. If they then happen to send me inferior parts, which has happened, I send them back.

SCOTT
65CONV, C-CODE, T10, 4BBL
ITS ALMOST DRIVEABLE, WOOOOOOHOOOOOO.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts