Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring I built a brand new motor for the 66' to protect the K-code when thrashing about the track. I ran the motor very hard for three days at the Mid America meet with no problems other than some fuel delivery issues. The motor has never really idled the way I thought it should.

Just this weekend I upgraded a friends car by stripping his motor down to the shortblock and replacing the cam, lifters, rockers and heads with the exact same setup I have. His motor idles better than mine! What's the deal?

We'll after agonizing over it for several days I realized why I am now asking for the doofus award. I LEFT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLTS LOOSE! I always toss the cork gaskets use a bead of silicone on the valley rail. I set the manifold in place and then let things "set" overnight. Problem is, I then put the motor in the car AND NEVER TIGHTENED THEM!

I ran the motor to 7000 rpm for three days at Hallet, no water leaks, no oil leaks and the only "symptom" was a slight "shudder" at idle.

They're tight now, the motor now responds to idle mixture adjustments and life is good.

?AM I A DOOFUS?

(If you've been keeping up,... I seem to be forgetting alot of things lately)

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
That's definitely in the running for a doofus! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Glad it's running good now!

·
Registered
19,973 Posts
I did that to the bolts on a con rod once! When I was in high school, I had a 58 Rambler. I was putting new rod bearings in, just before dinner. After dinner I continued. When I started it up, knock, knock. Luckily the front cross member bolted in. It was a snap to correct, and yes, I used a new bearing!

Hey it was a funky looking car with those fins, what can I tell you. Besides I only paid $25.00 for the car.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Hehe, good one. At least it did not ruin anything or cause any injury....and easy to correct.. Sounds like something I'd do ! Dickson

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
A very lucky doofus at that. Long ago the legendary Dewayne didn't get the manifold back correctly on my 289, go water in two cylinders, broke a piston, cracked the block. That's why mine has a 302 in it now.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
...now then, let's talk about a ride at 7000 rpm....hmmmmm /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Dont' think of it as a Doofus. Think of it as a field test of the holding power of RTV under adverse conditions/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You are indeed fortunate. The intake gasket started to leak in my Olds after about 15 passes down the 1/4 on a new engine and got plenty of antifreeze in my oil pan. After identifying the probable leak site and getting everything else checked just to make sure, I am just getting mine back together now. Another classic case of an "easy fix" taking several months to get done .........correctly.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You probably spoil lots of food in the fridge, too, cause you just can't seem to remember to snap the lid on the tupperware!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts