Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 mustang, 289 v8, with a 3 speed manual transmission, but it's is not a gt350. I need to replace my flywheel because my current one is missing a few chunks of teeth and my brand new mini stater is grinding and destroying itself. My question is, what is the tooth count I need to get? There seems to be either 157 or 164 tooth, but I can't find any clear information on what actually fits my setup. My starter specifies 164 tooth (and I think that's whats in it right now), but can I interchange 164 and 157 tooth? Could I also just order a ring gear and have a shop press it on so I don't have to replace the clutch too?

·
Registered
862 Posts
If the flywheel is fine just replace the ring gear. Count the teeth, including the missing ones, and you'll have your tooth count.

·
Premium Member
11,511 Posts
If you have an original Ford flywheel don't be surprised if you count the teeth and come up with 160. That's a 157 tooth flywheel.

P

·
0 Posts
Just buy the ring gear. Heat it and drop it on. When it cools it will be tight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just buy the ring gear. Heat it and drop it on. When it cools it will be tight.

Yep, I've done this a few times. The other thing I have done is heat the old one and take it off and flip it over and re-install. There are fresh teeth on the other side. This is taking into account the damage to the teeth on the one side is not too severe.

In and For Christ,

Glen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to heat it and swap it out. It's too damaged to flip (literally missing entire teeth) so I'm planning to get both a 164 and 157 gear and see which fits

·
Registered
20,877 Posts
Yep, I've done this a few times. The other thing I have done is heat the old one and take it off and flip it over and re-install. There are fresh teeth on the other side. This is taking into account the damage to the teeth on the one side is not too severe.

In and For Christ,

Glen

Yup, I've done the same thing and not ashamed of it either!

·
Registered
20,877 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to heat it and swap it out. It's too damaged to flip (literally missing entire teeth) so I'm planning to get both a 164 and 157 gear and see which fits

You want the 157 tooth flywheel. The ring gear will be set back about 3/8". The starter you need is the 157 tooth, it's going to be listed as the "automatic" starter. That is the correct starter for all 157 tooth (or 160 tooth flexplates) Do not use the "manual" starter it will not work. This is one area where all the catalogs are wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts