Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 fastback that by the invoice says it came with a folddown. I've looked at all the numbers, and they all match. No reason to believe there's been any funny business. etc. When I pulled the folddown out to do detailing, I noticed the the two metal pieces that should be on either side of the trap door are missing. It's like they were never there. It has the bracket that welds across the front of the trunk. These pieces are supposed to be tack welded to that piece. Functionally it's OK, but when you look into the trunk, you see the backs of the plastic trim panels(normally these would be covered by the two metal brackets that are missing). Could the guys on the assembly line have forgotton to weld in these brackets, or could it be that the brackets were added later in the model year for more reinforcement(the car was built in 11/70 :shrug: )? Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those metal filler pieces were not present on all of the mustangs. I know it looks funny without them.......thats probably why they added them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine looks the same way, but my History 999 report from Ford does not mention a fold down rear seat. I'm pretty sure they guy who restored my car 16 years ago added it from a parts car he had. My trunk floor does not have the space saver bracket which I believe any fold down car would have.
Functionally its fine, the support really isn't needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts