Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to to change part of the drive train in my 67 Fastback. The 289 is being replaced with a FE. Which I must admit I sat on for a long time before excepting my ability (in other words I turned chicken s***) and took to a well known speed shop in our area for turning and the assembly process.

1. I. D. this Rear End. I have looked at "Kevinstang's" site but still do not feel that I know sh** from puddy about rear ends. The rear end teeth numbers are 36 - 11 Numbers D2T 4210 A * 2. Outer Casting C7AW-E not that that helps. Just out of interest you can see D.M. has be engraved in the pictures.
2. I.D. this steel bell housing there is no tag. Before I spend hours cleaning the steel bell housing I would appreciate a proper I.D. This was also a throw in when I bought the car back in 1988. The Date code is D119 but there is NO part number. The Transmission in the 67 is a RUG-AE2 (by tag)so I think you know what I hope the bell housing is.
3. The alum bell housing only has the ford logo and sheffard stamp no I.D.

The parts can be seen here www.ont-home-health.on.ca/bellhousing2

If any one can point me to a good bell housing site I would be appreciative.
thanx
doug

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
The rear end would be a 3:25 if my math is correct, 36/11= 3.272727, unless you counted wrong. The unit looks like a posi, as the ring gear bolts are recessed into the side cover.

Both of those bellhousings appear to be small block bellhousings, no good for your FE engine..try eHay for pics of an FE bellhousing...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sorry the site didn't help you, but as stated on the site the C7AW-E is the standard 9 inch (single ribbed) case found from 1967 until 1985 or so, the D2 gears were also used for many years, you can surmise then that is from a 1972 or newer application. I think your a tooth off in the counts, I don't know of a 3.27 Ford 9 inch stock ratio, a 35/10 tooth count is the common 3.50 ratio. It does look to be a traction lock-pictures don't show enough from angle-but bolt holes looked recessed. It also looks rusty on gear and trac loc cover. The bells are small block, there should be casting numbers present- look on rear of bell behind were starter nose cone is. Don't know if you mean cast iron in place of "steel"- stock applications were cast iron or aluminum.The cast iron part number was in center area of bell. They are both smallblock.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin: Thanx for your feed back. I probably was out by one on each count. I was thinking 350. That rear end has sat in my garage since 1988. There is very little surface rust in a couple of places. The P.O. said it was the original Rear end out of the 67 which he took out when he put the 4:11's in obviously that is not correct. I was hoping the steel "Cast" bell matched the tranny in the 67 but that is not the case either.
My objective is to lower the rear end ratio so I can take the car out in the country, which is something I simply do not do now.I will now start my quest for a fe bell.
thanx for your assistance and I found your site very helpful by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts