Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have been coming here for awhile, And have noticed that you are great people to get advice from of cars and other things. But I have this problem that I need help with understanding.

Here is some info on myself:
1. I have a blue 68 coupe with silver stripes
2. I ' m a girl

The reason I list those things is because that seems to be a wierd combo for a lot of men to swallow!

Here are the comments that I get at least FIVE times a day when driving my car

1. You should not be driving a Man's CAR, Little girl!
2. Is that really your car? Or is it you Fathers, Boyfriends, Uncles etc..
3. I will buy it from you for 1,000 (note my car is in great condition)
4. There is a lot more, just don't want to think of the hundreds right now.

The Funny thing is WOMEN seem to always get the year of my car right. While a lot of men say " That is a 65-66 right?"

Now I ask you guys, since it seems that a lot of the posters are MEN.

IS IT THAT SHOCKING THAT A GIRL DRIVES A CLASSIC CAR?!

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to understand all of these comments from guys!

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
I don't find it shocking it all, I think it's a match made in heaven. ::

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dismiss anyone who feels compelled to offer negative comments. They are in their own narrow world and are not to be understood.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This problem is easy to solve. Just sell the car to some man for $1,000. I would like to offer my help. Where can I send the check? hehehehhehe

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
No more shocking than this

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/mariajeep1.jpg

Just ignore them. Or embarass them, your choice.
When they offer you $1000 say "maybe as a down payment moron"

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
1. You should not be driving a Man's CAR, Little girl! We're trying to determine if you're as "sweet and cute" as you first seem...

2. Is that really your car? Or is it you Fathers, Boyfriends, Uncles etc.. We're checking to see if you already HAVE a boyfriend, husband or over protective father..

3. I will buy it from you for 1,000 (note my car is in great condition) Lame attempt to get your phone # or address....

4. There is a lot more, just don't want to think of the hundreds right now.The Funny thing is WOMEN seem to always get the year of my car right. While a lot of men say " That is a 65-66 right?" We're PURPOSELY getting the year wrong just to continue conversation with you!!! ::

G

·
0 Posts
My wife has the same problem when she drives our '68 coupe. Of course, when she's driving the cobra, she can't hear them when they're left staring at the taillights.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
They are jealous. You are young, attractive and have a nice car. They are old, fat and drive a taurus.

Stay here where you are appreciated :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I feel a lot better, I thought that there was something wrong with me
Hey, maybe I should sell the car and get a honda( just kidding) :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey, The mustang in our garage is really my wife's mustang... She just lets me work on it for her... I even got to drive it once!

Z.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm. Must...control...fist..of..death...

Reminds me of the day I picked up our (my) 90 GT. PO(male) had done lots of mods to it for 'go-fast'. His brothers handled the transaction for him, and directly asked me "Whats a girl like you going to do with a car with this much power?" Never have I wanted to do a burnout so badly!

The funny side story was his mom had just gotten done telling me he thought it was too fast for him. ;-) Too many random bolt-ons!

You could keep a Hemmings in your car. When they offer you the 1000, 'consult' it. "Gee, mister, this lil ole magazine says my lil ole car should be $xxxxx Am I reading this right??"

I am used to seeing more women than men in both Mustangs AND Jeeps. Until I started going to car shows, the ratio is a little off-kilter there.

Viva estrogen! I wouldn't trade my Mustangs for anything! (OK, thats a lie. If someone offered to trade me an 05 for the 69, i'd take it)
lore

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Jess, among those that HAVE these cars, it's not nearly so shocking. You're fighting a stereotype from those that don't (and probably wish they did!).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No, it's not shocking, but still there are more men than women in the hobby. But, our numbers are growing. I get the same reaction all the time. I have decided that MOST of the people making these comments are just ignorant, or jealous that they don't drive a classic. Although some are just plain mean. I tend to ignore the comments either way.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Yeah Jess, Cloneys on target ::
So that`s a `62 Mustang right? ::

P.S this is my SWMBO`s car

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jess, among those that HAVE these cars, it's not nearly so shocking. You're fighting a stereotype from those that don't (and probably wish they did!).
Hmmm, I see what you are saying, but I have some guy friends with classic stangs and they never get the comments that I do. I'm 18 years old and when I was in highschool last year they would laugh at some of the things other guys would say. My guy friends told me that they get the" Is that your car?, question but they mean it differently when they say it to me) It's in the tone of vocie and the look on their faces. ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Hmmm, I see what you are saying, but I have some guy friends with classic stangs and they never get the comments that I do. I'm 18 years old and when I was in highschool last year they would laugh at some of the things other guys would say. My guy friends told me that they get the" Is that your car?, question but they mean it differently when they say it to me) It's in the tone of vocie and the look on their faces. ::
Exactly! :)

Heck, just the other day an older fellow at the gas station told me that he once had a '57 Mustang just like mine. Uh huh.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wow - a lot of responses - wonder why? (rhetorical)

Take it as a compliment. They are most likely looking for a way to talk to you or get your attention and have nothing intelligent to say.

PS> did you find this site all by yourself? (haha - of course i'm kidding)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your an anomoly. My wife loves mustangs (and muscle cars in general), and really wants a 66fb, but would only know how to drive it and put gas in it. She wouldnt work on it (other than wash it), wouldnt know the details, or know where to buy one or get parts. How many women do you know that drive vintage cars or even hot trucks? I do know some, and a lot of guys find that hot, but because its rare, I think guys want to get into your pants, or, are jealous of your car, or are intrigued by the fact you are driving a "mans toy" and know about it. I think its great, and you should have your pic with your car in yoru sig line, just to let people know your out there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts