Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the cherry has been poppoed, no longer a member of the "neverbrokedown" club.....perhaps you guys can help,, As I came off the highway, I noticed smoke/steam coming from under the hood, my temp gagein reading normal. I ppull over, pop the hood, and start looking. I cannot find a source for hte water, hoses seem fine, radiator core and seams seem fine. I get some agua and proceed to refill. When full I leave cap off and start it up, thinking thermostat will open and suck water down so I can get it full. This doesn't happen, insted the water bubbles out an dactually shoots out. I let everything cool, get a couple gallons of water, fill it up again, and am able to make it home,engine never gets real hot, but it is steaming again when I get home.Can you all help me trouble shoot this problem?? I checked the oil, no water mixed in[whew!!!!]I did have a new intake put on on monday, and she's been drinving fine since then. Ideas Please??? Thanks, Lenny ;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
First- replace the thermostat. For 2-3 bucks it'll be a cheap test. Check all hoses etc etc etc. If its driving fine after that- sounds like a thermostat got stuck. But just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I would start with the thermostat as well. It is possible to have a coolant leak into the cylinder without having anything go into the oil, so keep your fingers crossed that the problem is just the thermostat.

There is a tester you can put on the radiator to tell if there are any exhaust gases in the fluid.

John Harvey

·
Registered
134 Posts
I third the idea of the thermostat, try replcing it I have had a similar problem and the thermostat shut down and wouldnt let the coolant pass properly.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
lleno said:
I did have a new intake put on on monday, and she's been drinving fine since then. Ideas Please??? Thanks, Lenny ;)
Do you know if they replaced the thermostat or reused your old one? Possible they put it in backwards.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thermostat...then when I had a problem like this I ended up doing a new water pump which fixed everything. That is a pain though if all you have to do is thermostat. Let us know what happens.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The water blowing out the open cap is totally normal, and why you don't want to run it without the cap on.

Look for a water stain forming on the radiator. I once chased a similar problem for weeks and weeks. There was a small hole in the radiator and when the thermostat would open, it would occasionally shoot a small burst of coolant out the hole and onto the exhaust.

If your thermostat is stuck, the only water flowing out of the block would be through the by-pass and you'd see it real quick on the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know where to pick up a thermostat?? reular old parts house??[pep boys around here...]I hope thaty's all it is......

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
first thing i would do is look down into radiator thru cap opening and look at the little tubes,2 sets in a row row,3 sets in a 3 row ect and see if they look free of rust deposits that can block the cooling passages. if they appear clear ok,if not your radiator needs backflushing which any radiator shop can do. next make sure you water/coolant level is covering those tubes,then with engine cool start motor with cap off and while engine is warming up watch coolant. it will barely move before thermostat opens and begin rushing when thermostat opens. all this time make sure to keep colant level above tubes. after thermostat opens replace radiator cap and let engine continue to run and check entire system for leaks. the shop that replaced your intake/carb may have not put enough coolant in radiator/system and had an air buble causing your problem or you may have another problem. wes

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
T-stat. The water isn't circulating. You can test it by running it under cold water...should close it. Drop it is boiling water, or heat to boiling. If it opens fully it's OK. If not, replace it. OR...just replace it.

BUT....have you checked your cap to be sure it's holding pressure? That's a must!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts