Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay - first I tried to search to see if there was anything on this - so if there was I am sorry.

Okay - So I have a 73 mustang - and it was time for a new motor. I found a 90's (I think early 90's) 302 ho with 40,000 for 500 bucks - long story short I put it in ( I have a c4 trans) and I have a vibration - now from what I understand starting in 90 to have the motor correctly balanced you neeed to have the flywheel crank and balancer all the same (when I put it in I had my old flywheel and old dampner) so now I have the dampner from the 90 ho but my old flywheel and still a vibration. From the information I have collected I believe I need to put the flywheel from the 90 ho and also its dampner. Only problem is the 90 flywheel wont fit in the c4 bellhousing. PLEASE HELP. Even if you guys have some one I can call that would be great. or im me - jhat1180 thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah you need to match the balancer and the flywheel/flexplate. The early ones pre 81 or 82 had 28oz balance factor. The later ones are 50 oz balance factor. Since you have a late motor you need a 50 oz flexplate to go with your 50 oz balancer. You can find them on e-Hay (swap out the H with a B). What ever you do DO NOT run your motor until this is resolved or you will have a $500 worth of scrap iron.

Count the number of teeth on your original. After thinking some more about this my guess is the old flexplate you have is 157 teeth and the new one is 164 teeth. I do not work on automatics but maybe you could get a different bellhousing? I found a c4 164 tooth bell on e-Hay item #1851887118. Then you would need a new starter also. So here are some more options.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first thanks so much for your time and help. I called mustangs plus they have the correct flywheel - ford racing part #6375e302 (i am putting all this info in for other peoples benifit in the future) I am not sure what I am going to do yet - still checking out the option - I will let you all know how it works out.

Thanks

Jesse

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just to give you another option, shops can "match balance" one that'll fit to the one that was on the engine and was custom balanced or at least worked with the crank & dampener. This might cost less then buying new parts and then finding out they aren't right, it still vibrates, take it apart again, God it should've worked!! You know what I mean? Worth a few phone calls.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay - I decided to buy the b and m flywheel - it is 105.00 and in stock from summit. Mustangs + price for the ford racing flywheel was 140.00. Thanks again for everyones input - ones I get it in Ill put up pics of the completed install --- polished silver holley 600 - wieland (sp?) stealth intakes - mallory points conversion - and some chrome coil I can't remeber.

As an aside I have the intakes and what not from the h.o. motor if anyone wants to buy it. upper and lower intake - all injectors and sensors and what not.

jesse

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright - picked up my mustang last night - and the new b and m flywheel works perfectly! Thanks everyone for all of your help

PS if anyone in the north east area of new jersey wants a 351 cheap let me know

thanks again

Jesse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts