Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I trying to remove the windshield and headlight bezels from my 65 coupe and I can't get them out ::

I got the healight and windshield knobs out but I still can't get the bezels off. What gives?

Do you have to take out the "stuff" behind the dash first?

Someone said to use a pair of needle nose pliers on the windsheild bezel to unscrew it but all it does is spin around. I can't even budge the headlight one.

The thing that sucks is I took the afternoon off to work on the stang and I'm stuck doing nothing.

Sorry to whine I'm just frustrated.

Sue

·
Registered
948 Posts
I found this in a web search, it's for a galaxie, but it should work for your stang as well:

Let's start by removing the Lights bezel first. Reach under the headlight switch behind the dash and you will find a small button on the bottom of the switch with a little spring behind the button. Press the button in as far as it will go. While you are holding this button in, grab the headlight knob and pull the knob and shaft all the way out of the headlight switch. The little release button on the bottom of the headlight switch should release the headlight knob and shaft so that you can pull it completely out of the headlight switch. Sometimes you will have to work with this more than a few times. You may even have to jiggle the headlight knob and shaft while holding the release button in, but eventually the knob and shaft will release completely from the headlight switch. Once the knob and shaft is out, you will then see a retainer in the center of the headlight bezel. This retainer holds the headlight switch and the headlight bezel in place. In the center of the retainer there is a slot. Take a flat bladed screwdriver that will fit into the slot on the retainer of the headlight switch. With one hand grab hold of the headlight switch behind the dash and with your other hand and flat blade screwdriver unscrew the retainer from the headlight switch. When the retainer is totally loose from the headlight switch, you will be able to drop the headlight switch down behind the dash and also pull the headlight bezel off the dash. Remove the center chrome retainer from the old headlight bezel. To re-install the new headlight bezel, just reverse the procedure that you used to remove it.
To remove the Wiper bezel and the right side Air bezel, start by taking off each knob. They are held in place onto their respective shafts by a set screw. Use an Allen key to loosen the set screw, then pull the knobs off their shafts. Now you can use either a pair of needlenose pliers or snap ring pliers to remove the center retainer. Just as you did with the headlight switch, reach behind the dash and grab the respective switch or air cable. Use your needlenose of snap ring pliers to fit into the slot on either side of the shaft in the center retainer. Turn the center retainer counterclockwise and remove it from the wiper switch or the right hand air cable. Remove the old bezel.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The knobs come off, but the bezels are actually screwed onto the switch... so you have to find a way to turn the little bezel off the threaded portion on the switch.

If it turns, that means the switch on the inside is turning along with it... I had to actually remove the instrument cluster to get a hand down there to hold things... After that, it was easy...

(I was reinstalling my wipers switch/bezel)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.