Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought headers for my 1966 mustang from ebay for only $68 they are SB Ford Chrome Headers Factory Seconds. so the chrome on them is not perfect but they will still perform great and a lot better than what we have on there now, but it says it needs 5" of clearance between the block and shock towers do i have that?!? Please Help

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?!? i dont get why nobody ever helps out on here? im trying to rebuild a 1966 mustang coupe with my dad and would like outside opinions and help but cant seem to get any...

·
Registered
377 Posts
hjhtitan - you gotta be patient - 15 minutes is not enough time to decide that no one is going to help...

As for your question - what engine do you have? Have you measured from the side of the head to the shock tower?
Do you have any other info on the headers? What year are they for?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Simple enough. I would measure from the cylinder head where the exhaust manifolds mount to the shock tower. Do you have 5"? If so I think they'll fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry its just i have posted on here a few times now and i have not gotten any responses in the past couple weeks

and ive only looked at it we have a 289 v8 in it but it looks like there is only about 3-4" clearance i can go check here in a min though

and they headers say they fit 260,289,302,351's on '57-72 full size ford cars and trucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read your last reply. You may have a problem due to the application of the headers you got. The full size cars and trucks have a lot more engine to shock tower clearance so the headers can take advantage of that extra room and have a more open radius on the bends. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The additional info is helping - it seems like you have a reasonable chance of them fitting - but I am worried about 'full size ford car' statement, not sure that the mustang would classify as full size

·
Registered
562 Posts
Typically full size Ford means Fairlane; Galaxie; Torino and not Mustang which was based on the Falcon, a "compact car". Best to just try fitting them. We can't help you with that. Realize the exhaust port configuration and size on the 260; 289; 302 and the 351W is the same so the fact the headers WILL bolt up to those engines is but half the equation. In the case of the 351W the heads are higher physically than on the earlier 289.
This is why many folks just buy the set that is guaranteed to fit their engine in their particular application. It eliminates the guesswork. Maybe you got lucky and they'll fit.
What's the manufacturer and model number and did you check their website or maybe even Summit Racing or Jeg's site that list multiple applications and models. There's also a site at "Jet Hot" that will offer up model numbers and application information for many varied manufacturers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 289 looks roughly 23" wide and have like 4" of clearance from the block to the towers is that a problem?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sounds like it will be tight at best, since you already bought them, wait for them to come and then try it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah will do i think they will im looking on jegs.com and they have some that have 3/8" thick CNC laser-cut flanges and 1 5/8" primary tubes which is the same for the ones i got so hopefully they will fit alright

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah im starting to have my doubts..but ill try them and if not i can sell them they will be brand new just with the chrome imperfections im sure someone would take them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts