Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i found a 67 coupe for sale in pennsylvania, and my parents are seriously considering going out there to buy it!!! but i live in california! originaly when thinking about getting a mustang i thought i could drive it from where i bought it back home. but pennsylvania is too far for me to drive (i would fly there then drive back) soooo, my dad is concerned on how we would get it back. does anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to get it shipped(or sent, whatever you call it) from pennsylvania to california? is there ANY other way you guys might have an idea on how i can get it home after buying it? i really want this car, but that is a big concern.
thanks for the help.
alex

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm nineteen and got my mustang a couple of years ago, so I can understand your situation. I also considered going out of state but I eventually found exactly what I wanted right in front of me. If I were you I would just be patient and keep checking the classifieds and keeping my eyes open. I think when I checked on sending a car cross country it was around 500, but I could be remembering incorrectly, it was a bit ago. I know thats probably not what you wanted to hear, but its my two cents, and the patience paid off for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is there something really special about this particular car? There are lots of coupes for sale in California. Why go through the hassle of getting one in PA? Thats just my opinion. But If it is a really great deal and you buy it, you could bring a friend and take a road trip back or go with your Dad and make the drive home a bonding expierience. With somebody with you the drive wouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i should have specified more. this car is once in a lifetime offer. i didnt want to go into details because i didnt want someone else to find out about it and buy it right under me. im paranoid. the big thing about it is its a tremec t-5!! i am only getting a manual tranny, and its hard enough for me to find a 4 speed, but five speed! and it has some rust on body he said, but no rust on under carriage! i would have to do further investigating to find out about that. it has a ton of ne things like rocker arms, headers, its a 302, it has electronic ignition, and its perfect. i want to fly there a fly back, its just my mom is saying the expences of hotels, food (which i said isnt an option when your eating bbandj sandwhiches, ::) and it would take about 5 days. and i have school and my mom has work. ssooo im looking for another option, because this isnt just any mustang, i know that there are a lot of options in california. but not like this.
please any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I know what it is like to find a car and get excited about it, keep in mind that could end up working against you so be careful. My advice is to not rush buying any car, especially your 67 coupe. Take your time to check it out inside and out. If you need to, take someone with you who knows what to look for. The major thing that you want to avoid is any surprises. What I mean is if you rush getting your 67 and later find out that it needs a cowl replacement(due to rust), it can really end up discouraging you. As everyone will probably tell you, the 3 major things that you want to look for are rust, rust, and rust. As far as the tremec goes, there are tons of vintage stangs with 5 speeds out there, it has become a very popular swap. Even if you find a 4 speed, it would be very easy to convert it to a 5 speed if that is what you really wanted. The 302 with rockers and headers will easily be found in your home state. The ignition may be desireable, depending on what exactly it is. If he said that there is some rust on the body, be careful, that could be the tip of the iceberg. As I said before you want to make sure that the cowl doesn't leak, that is one of those things that could go un-noticed just by looking at the exterior of the car. My recommendation would be to list specific options and possibly pictures on this site, as well as the asking price, the VMF will probably be your most valuable source for determining the value of this 67. If people on the site only know that it is a 67 and in Penn, no one is going to buy it out from underneath you, there are too many 67 coupes in Penn for that to happen. Personally, for me to buy a car from that far away(I live in AZ), it would have to be a real steal of a deal or exactly what I am looking for. I can almost promise you that you can find a car in Cali. that will have the same or similar options, and be rust free or just have minor surface rust on it. If you can't let me know, Im sure I can find one next door here in AZ. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. Don't let me talk you out of this car, it might very well be a smokin deal. I am just trying to assume the worst to try to help you out so you don't end up biting off more than you can chew. Good luck with your search and remember, don't rush it, that is when you get "sloppy," trust me I know from experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
To ship the car from PA to CA is approx $1000

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Dude stay away from east coast cars unless you have a true gem and it can be documented and verified AND ITS SO RARE that you really have no choice. What you are after is a VERY COMMON car. I have about 20 years of experience with those "not so rusty" cars. You will live to regret it if you buy this car. You can take the extra 1000 dollars it would take to ship on an open carrier and put it towards a car already here in CA. Then you can take the extra 5-8000 dollars it would take to repaint re place the metal that would be rusted on that car and put it towards one that is ORIGINAL FORD steel. I will be happy to help you find one out here I enjoy your enthusiasm and would like to see you get a nice car. PLENTY of 67 around here to choose from. DONT get one form back east when you are out here in CA. K?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
DONT GET THE CAR, unless its less than $1,500

First of all, the hardest thing to do with a car is paint it, so start with a painted car with NO RUST. That is easy to find in california, and impossible to find on the east coast.

Seriously man, don't do it. All those things the car has you can do yourself with almost basic tools.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Take it from a northeast living person. If you see rust on the outside, there is rust on the inside. Unless this is THE car, or DIRT cheap, or something like Mom saying "OK I will buy you a car, but it HAS to be this one ;)" you are better off looking local. Your in Ca, the land of rust free cars. us norteast people would kill for what you have right under your nose. I would pass if I was you. At least have a good mustang guy look at it first. Someone that realy knows what to look for.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
this car is once in a lifetime offer
Maybe your lifetime ;)
J/K
As others have said, "a little rust" up here is a whole world of difference than in southern Cal...
If it`s got a Tremec in it, chances are it needed it, which might lead me to believe it`s been " hardly used" also ::
Could be a great deal, don`t want to discourage enthusiasm. But also don`t want to see anyone get used and abused either. Knowlege is power ::

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I didn't read every response word for word, so forgive me if this has already been stated.
I'm not sure if it is still this way, but Pa. used to have state inspection that didn't allow a car to have any rust through holes. The result is that there are a lot of cars running around Pa. with a lot of bondo in them. On the plus side (again my info may be somewhat outdated, but then again this is an old car), they don't use salt on their roads.
If it's in Eastern Pa., it's likely been exposed to ocean salt. Western Pa. may not be as bad. If it's done any time in Ohio, that wouldn't be good as we DO use salt. I'd be leary in any case.
I don't see anything about this car that would make it worth going that far for. You should be able to find a rust free example in your area and with the money you save you could pay someone to put a 5 speed in it (if you don't want to do it yourself).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jim's right and wrong :D. He's right, we have inspections and you can't have holes due to rust or whatever. But he's definitely wrong on the salt issue, we have salt all over the place - cars look white in the winter no matter what the original color! Buy a car locally, it's not worth the hassle and potential of hidden rust and other issues. How would you reconcile with a buyer from across the country once he's got your money? Good luck.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Coming from a guy that lives is the rusty northeast:

Buy a car in California!

Guys up here pay big $ to get a "California Car" because there is no such thing as road salt there. You haven't seen rust until you've actually come to CT, NY, NH or any other "Rust Belt" state.

Rust hides and a complete swap kit to a Tremec is cheap compared to rust repairs........

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Sorry, my information was a little old, dating back about 20 years or so when I had relatives that lived in Beaver Valley, Pa. They used to put cinders on their roads, most likely from the steel mills across the rive that are no longer there. So thanks for straightening me out on that!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I live 6 miles south of the PA border. When it was time for me to buy a classic Mustang, I bought a west coast car!!!! IMHO, there are two kinds of mustangs, those with rust and those that have been fully restored and kept in a hermedically sealed container. The issue is how much rust. There are a lot of areas on the mustang where rust develops and it is not readily seen. Rust repair is by far the most expensive issue with classic car restoration!!!
The fact that the car has a five speed is about a $1500 issue at the most. Less if you do the work yourself.
I agree with the others - save the transportation cost, and carefully select a west coast car. After you drive it for a while think about mods you want to make.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
John brings up a good point. I live in Ohio, about .5 hr form the Pa. line. I looked in-state for almost a year trying to find a solid Mustang. I wasn't looking for perfect cars, but a solid project car. I never did find one. I ended up buying a Texas car.
My point is that if there are very few decent stangs in Ohio then there likely isn't many in Pa. either.
It's easy to replace an engine or trans, but rust repair is something you want to avoid. Buy a Ca. car, or at least a car that has been in a warm dry state all it's life. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
795 Posts
listen to every one here. i dident listen to what these guys said and bought the first car i saw because i couldent wait. i knew it need a ne floor but i thought that was all until i started to pull it apart. now all i have that is good is the drive train and the roof. DONT BY A EAST COAST CAR unless it is a gt or shelby. you live in ca land of soild rust free cars. look alittle harder and find one that you can drive for a year with out havint to worri about fixing something

·
Registered
630 Posts
dont do it.

Everyone up here in the rust belt is out to find a cali-car, but the distance is a big factor. Why go for a rusty NE car when you can get a rust free car right in your own backyard!

The options it carries may be a factor, but they can easily be added. Stick with a car from your area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts