Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that carter, edelbocks are easy to tune, but lack performance. Then I here that the holleys and speed demons are hard to tune.
What is the deal? I cant make up my mind what I want. I believe the carter I have is too small and I dont what to spend hundreds of dollars swapping carb after carb.
I do have a holley 750 from a fellow vmfer (FEEX)., to try out.
So what's the final word on performance carbs, that can be set up easily, tuneable and run hard?????
Give it to me straight......What are my best bets?
Thanks...Kevin

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Plain and simple – I'm very pleased with my Edelbrock 1406. Smooth idle, good gas mileage, and I think excellent performance. Out of the box and bolt it on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've seen the 'performance' remark also between the Edelbrock and the Holley. I'd like to know if it is a noticeable difference? Or would you only see it on a dyno run?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Try the Holley, get a good tune on it. They do make the quick change fuel bowls for jetting purposes. It's easier than tearing the carb out for a jet swap.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The reason Carter style carbs are easier to tune is that the metering rod and jet is accessible from the top of the carburetor, which makes jet changing a simple 15 minute job.

The Holley Carburetor has a big resevior on the side ("The bowls") which drag racers like because the bowls won't drain on hard acceleration and won't shut down when the car launches. The power valves are a little better for tuning.

I personally like the AFB style Carters and have had good luck with them. The only compaint I have against the Holley is that if you let them sit for three months, the bowl gaskets dry out and leak gas all over your motor. If you run them regularly you don't have a problem.

Dave
::

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Ok, performance tests have proven once and for all that the fastest carb at the track was ...
Ford Autolite 4100. Really.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
QUOTE--Plain and simple – I'm very pleased with my Edelbrock 1406. Smooth idle, good gas mileage, and I think excellent performance. Out of the box and bolt it on.

I can say the exact same thing about my 1406 on my 351W. I have buckets of Holley junk, sick and tired of that game. I added a adaptor for the AOD linkage and thats all I have had to do in over 5 years. Just drive it. John

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
yes.....I see legions of racers using autolite carbs.

not.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
now that Im done being crass....

Putting a 750 on a considerably cammed up 351 can work......it'll probably make roughly an extra 20-30hp, depending on how wild the motor is.....

It probably wont idle quite as well, or cruise around town as well (especially if its a double pumper).

The volumetric efficiency related carb formula works OK but doesnt take manifold design into consideration because it can't. Sometimes on a low rise intake, a 750 might be better.

On a 351 with a performer intake, there isnt much use for a 750 becuase they run out of flow around 5-5.5K

I plan to try a 750VS on my Cleveland....about the time I drop a single plane wieand xcelerator on the motor......and I know I can tune a carb.

So basically, a 600 will probably be easiest to run on the street (sometimes they can benefit from .050 holes drilled into the primary throttle blades so the idle screw doesnt have to be cranked too far to get a 351 to idle).....and will probably lose 4-8% of the top end power the motor could make.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Your sig pic is huge. Please size it down a bit.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I owned a Holley and grew tired of regular adjustments (probably the same tiring that VW owners had in adjusting the lifters on their bugs). Slapped on an Edelbrock 1406 and haven't looked back...

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
It always amazes me to see so many people who dont like the Holley carbs. I've had a carter, edelbrock and Holley on my car. Hands down the Holley has been the best one. I think that in order to know how to tune a Holley properly, you need to be familliar with the carb and it's parts....and what purpose each part and fuel/air passage has. With this knowledge, they are simple to tune and diagnose. There is a very good Holley book in paperback that explains what each part and passage does, plus it's a short book and easy to read. How can you tune a carb if you dont know it inside and out?

And as far as the gaskets drying out, an easy solution is to buy the blue colored "re-usable" gaskets, they dont dry out.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I hear that carter, edelbocks are easy to tune, but lack performance.
My 1406 Edelbrock on my 289 ran a 14.33 at the track. This was with spinning the tire through the first half of 1st gear (traction-lok not locking) and some pinging at the launch from too small of primary jets. I now have a 1405 on there (traded with my daughter) and have cured the pinging. I know that as soon as I have my rear fixed, I'll be into the 13's. That's not too bad a performance to me for a carburated daily driver.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I ran 4100s back in high school (the 70s) and they worked great. The only problem was so many of them were just plain worn out (throttle shafts, etc.). I tried Holleys back then and never had any luck with them (obviously because I did not know how to tune them). On my current stock 351C-4V I ran a Holley 1850 for a while. It ran OK for a couple of years and then started bogging and leaking gas. Just like the other posters mentioned, I bolted on an Edelbrock and am very pleased with the performance. Am I getting everything I can get out of the motor with this carb? Probably not. On the other hand, I didn't have to fiddle with the carb at all and I'm satisfied with the performance I'm getting. The best thing is that my low-end driveability increased significantly with the Edelbrock (again, probably a tuning issue with the Holley). Personally, I've heard enough horror stories about carb tuning (re: Cantedvalve) to know that it's not something that I want to get too deeply involved in.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That settles it!!! I AM GETTIN A edel 1406 for my 289!!! END OF DISCUSSION!! IF IT WORKS FOR JOHNPRO IT HAS TO BE GREAT DANNGITT!!! ::

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm going to defend Holly a little, after making the adjustments when I first put my Holly 750 double pumper on in '94 I haven't had to do anything to it since...and it's currently running in the low 12's - high 11's.

The general rule I always heard was edelbrocks were good for mild everyday driving and hollys were good for racing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My 347 runs like night and day between a Holley and a Edelbrock/Carter.
The Holley runs sooo much better its not funny (even with a WAY overcarbed 850 DP!). There are lots of nice accessories for the Holley that can make tunning very simple. As an example, with my adjust-a-jet metering block I can change the jetting of my Holley while its running. Try that with an Edelbrock :)

Wben you're ready for the big time you'll notice that a Holley or a Holley based carb is used, especially at the track. Heck, Mr. Edlebrock himself uses a Holley carb on his race cars if that says anything..

Just my $.02
~{stepping off soap box}~

·
Registered
553 Posts
i'm fairly carb illiterate but my car has a Holley on it and has run fine since day one. now i dont have alot of experience so maybe my ignorance is perceived bliss, but i'm happy with the Holley on there. i have the same paper back book "Rebuilding Holley Carbs" or something like that. it has tons of pictures and written so easy that a 10 year old could probably rebuild one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts