Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just "won" 2 wheelcovers for my '67 coupe. They were $61 for two new unopened covers. A good deal I thought, until the seller says that shipping will be $20 via UPS. The auction description just said "buyer pays shipping"....no mention of $20. I think thats excessive. Any opinions?

Michael

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Calculate the shipping yourself and call his bluff.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, this is why we should support our local vendors. Internet sales hardly ever include shipping and it is often outrageous so they can make some money. If you walk in to a local parts store you'll find they can often give you a comparable price and let you carry it out the door. Thank goodness we have Joe at Mustangs Plus here in Kansas City. He has been competitive on pricing with anything I have seen on the internet.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Never, never, never bid unless the S&H is stated or you ask the seller first. It may be worth a try to determine the actual shipping and if there is a significant difference try to deal with the seller...Good luck!

Hopefully, you just learned a lesson Grasshopper.

·
Registered
21,017 Posts
I'd say so. Ask him what the shipping weight is, ect.. Remember you can put in an unfavorable comment about this on his eBay rating, remind him of this ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Some times the shipping quotes on Ebay are out of this world. Just two weeks ago I wanted to bid on a mustang book (the size of a NPD parts catalog or any magazine) and it had the box at the bottom of the screen for the shipping quote, enter my zip and got a quote of $18.50 coming from New Mexico to Los Angeles. So I email the seller to see if he can give me a quote for normal post, but never heard back. ::
I never bid unless I get the shipping quote. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
yep.. I too was naive at first. When I read "shipping after auction", I naively thought it would then be exact shipping.

Get a quote first, or ask why they don't post the info you need to determine it (weight , size , zip ).

Most shipping prices are bloated in ebay to make a few bucks there.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The shipping box on ebay is a joke. It gives you Shipping and HANDLING which can be whatever the seller wants it to be.

I wonder if you can go the UPS store and buy a prepaid shipping label (like a business would) and mail it with your check!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
For the same reason I still drive out to look at "rust free" cars... eternal optimism?

As to the shipping costs, they do seem excessive, but never underestimate the ability of UPS to charge an individual an outrageous amount. I don't know if you bought from an individual or a small business, but I do know that when I tried to give away and ship a Monte Carlo bar to someone, UPS wanted $33 because it was over 42(?) inches long, regardless of the fact that it weighed only 8 lbs.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Got caught in that trap a few months ago. Bought a complete '67 grill for $45, "buyer to pay actual shipping." Didn't realize it would be $50 to ship from Ontario.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yup, we all learn our lesson. I "won" an 69 deluxe gauge cluster for 42 bucks a few months back, and after the auction, the seller says I owe him 45 for shipping. After I threatened to give him bad feedback and not pay for the item (Ebay does have a policy against inflated shipping) we settled on less (I thought 10 was fair, he said he paid 25, and I paid him 20). In a nutshell, what the others have said, if you dont see shipping listed, get a quote before bidding!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If these are original metal covers (as opposed to lightweight plastic covers) and will be packed in a sturdy box with plenty of packing material, $20 sounds pretty fair. I've shipped a lot of items in the past year (mostly rims from my home business) and I can tell you shipping costs can get pretty high. Shipping supplies aren't cheap either. Boxes and packing material cost money that many shippers will include in "handling" fees or simply add to the actual shipping cost. Also, most shipping companies will calculate a "dimensional weight" if the item is in a large box but doesn't weigh much. So even though your wheel covers may only weigh 10 lbs, if the box they are in is large enough to contain sufficient packing material the shipping weight may be calulated as 20 lbs or more.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
having won almost 100 auctions, I can say that Ive felt ripped off on shipping maybe twice, and never to such extremes.

yes it happens, but I suspect it's rare

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
The shipping via UPS at $20 may be a real quote for shipping charges, and thus reasonable. Some sellers only want to use a trackable, insured shipper (at buyer's expense) for their own comfort. Then again, some will quote you an excessive price....you just have to look.

I sell a fair amount on ebay, and shipping depends on the item. On small stuff I may give a fixed price of $2.50-5.00 of shipping (never any BS "handling" changes!). In that case, the buyer knows the shipping before he bids.

But on larger/heavier or more valuable items that I want to insured shipping, I usually say shipping to be determined later. If a potential buyer asks, I usually give them a quote from the UPS.com site, saying that it's usually pretty close. I've had very few problems in this area, but you do need to watch it when on the buy side. :: Dickson

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wait a sec here...

If I've got to find a box, package the thing up and go down to the UPS outlet then I'm gonna get compensated for that.
PLUS
I want everything I ship to have a tracking # and be insured, which isn't always included.

I had a fellow a couple of months ago who wanted me to put a laptop memory chip in an envelope so he could get it shipped to Italy for $5.50. No insurance, no tracking # and now he's saying it hasn't shown up.

Well DUH!

But if you think $20 is unreasonable then I put it to you that the onus was on the buyer to ask before bidding.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Wait a sec here...

If I've got to find a box, package the thing up and go down to the UPS outlet then I'm gonna get compensated for that.
PLUS
I want everything I ship to have a tracking # and be insured, which isn't always included.

I had a fellow a couple of months ago who wanted me to put a laptop memory chip in an envelope so he could get it shipped to Italy for $5.50. No insurance, no tracking # and now he's saying it hasn't shown up.

Well DUH!

But if you think $20 is unreasonable then I put it to you that the onus was on the buyer to ask before bidding.
I agreee you should get compensated but should the person who goes to the post office and buys a money order then mails it to you be in for a refund ?

Yes I understand Paypal is used and it makes life easier but it works 2 ways . If you want to make money for shipping a item , include "handling charge" in your auction . Don't cop-out and say S&H , since that's a way for people to hide and feel good about overcharging .
When I sell , I charge exactly what it costs me to ship it . Sure , I have to package it up and ship it but I consider it to be part of my commitment for selling on ebay .
You will also note that many auctions that show a handling charge don't get the higher bids because bidders know it's a rip-off ( IMO ) . That's why alot of sellers don't tell you the cost up front , they want to wait till auction ending then make up what they feel they should have received .
I also save all my shipping supplies when I receive packages . Every once in a blue moon when I sell alot of stuff at once , I have to buy more popcorn .

The $20 sounds steep to me , I shipped a front housing for a Caterpillar 3116 engine that weighed in much more heavy than 2 hubcaps for $14.50 through the post office .
I mailed a pedal support/ pedals for a 65 and it cost $11.50 and Id say it weighs more than 2 hubcaps .

·
Registered
663 Posts
ok on ups.com I did 16" x 16" x 8" by your weight 7 lbs. wisconsin to florida and it was $9.50

1 - 20 of 28 Posts