Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of the eight plug caps are dangerously close to the Tri-Y headers on my 302. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what caps did you use to get round it?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Although I run MSD wires, I do run 90 degree plug end boots which I believe would be similar to yours. I also route my wires in a similar fashion. My headers (not Tri-Y) have 1 5/8" primary tubes and I have no clearance issues. I did start with a universal wire set and cut each wire to length in an effort to control the angle of the boot. Which wires are causing you problems and where are the clearance issues?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I've been looking st those woven type sleeves, and its only two plugs that are close (1 & 6 I think). I will try to get some better pictures on

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
I went with these summit wire covers. I like them a lot. MSD straight plugs with tri-y headers. I feel your pain with wires that are close

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can they be cut down, or would they fray and fall apart? Seem a bit long.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
Can they be cut down, or would they fray and fall apart? Seem a bit long.
I think they cut be cut you would want to sew them though so they wouldn't fray. One end is folded and sewn from summit. I imagine you could cut the sewn string and fold back more. Not sure what that would take for thread though

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used the woven nomex tubes. My front drv side plug touches. The boot still charred in a relatively short time. This time I'm going to try "Ceramic" boots from Pertronix, (also Accel). From Summit. Haven't fired it yet. Will update in a couple weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
So what are the boots actually made of? Are they still flexible like rubber ones?
Please let us know how you get on.
I'd say the consistency of canvas. At least the ones I used have a metal ring on the spark plug side. You might get a straight wire through it but I'm not sure about a angled boot. Since I bought a universal kit I slipped them on before terminating the cap end of the wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Pertronix ones are really ceramic. Harder than hard. By the way I used the 135* (not 90 like the product picture). The only thing I don't like about them so far, is being shiney white and they are a little "bulky" looking. Haven't fired the engine yet, hopefully this week!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts