Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1969 428 Mach 1 seems to have factory staggered rear shocks. It has rubber plugs in the two (standard) access holes in the floor pan where you access the top shock mount. Those holes are 2" x 3.5". The third hole, for the offset shock, is 2"x3". so the rubber plug for the standard hole is 1/2" too long to fit the hole.
Question: Is there a plug available to fit the smaller third hole? Did the car even come with a plug in that hole?

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Always good to have a sealed chassis.
How about cutting the too-long plug and gluing it back together. After all, its under the trunk mat.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
There is a somewhat smaller oval shaped plug that I have seen on the upper firewall of '70s Ford trucks. I am using one on my '67 Ranchero currently.
Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great minds think alike, my friends!! I thought about elongating the hole, but I'd rather not cut the car...it's a mostly original #'s matching car. I also thought about shortening a plug - I think that would work. And as Roddster says, it is hidden. But I'd rather use a plug that fits if I can find one. It seems to me that as all the other holes in the chassis came with a plug, so Ford probably put a plug in that hole too....but maybe because of the low numbers of Boss and 428 cars, no reproduction plug is made. But why did they make that third hole smaller than the other two?? Mystery....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a somewhat smaller oval shaped plug that I have seen on the upper firewall of '70s Ford trucks. I am using one on my '67 Ranchero currently.
Randy
Thanks, Randy. Do you happen to know the dimensions of that firewall plug?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sorry.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are refering to the oval hole on the top of the interior crossmember , a metal cover, similar to the one used on the floorpans, was used.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are refering to the oval hole on the top of the interior crossmember , a metal cover, similar to the one used on the floorpans, was used.

View attachment 767456
Thank you very much. I wondered if that was the right plud. I see spot adjacent to the access hole that can accept the screws. It leaves one to wonder why Ford would use a different size for the third access hole??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much. I wondered if that was the right plud. I see spot adjacent to the access hole that can accept the screws. It leaves one to wonder why Ford would use a different size for the third access hole??
Thank you very much. I wondered if that was the right part. I see the little holes adjacent to the access hole that can accept the screws. It leaves one to wonder why Ford would use a different size for the third access hole??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts