Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I try and plug weld, the puddle doesn't build up well. I'm afraid to hold too long, I don't want to blow through. I'm also afraid to turn the heat up for the same reason

This pic is me trying to fill the hole for almost 5 sec. I'm using the HF titanium easy flux 125 with .30 wire on its lowest heat setting, and medium low wire speed.

Wood Tool Gas Household hardware Motor vehicle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For starters, I'd practice first on scrap the same thickness, and adjust your settings. That way you don't screw up a project.
I have been. Same results. Did a test plug on the car to see if it would be any different. It wasn't.

any feedback on why this might be happening? I've never plug welded before, but its not my first time welding in general. Tried different speeds and heats.

FWIW, this is lower cowl and firewall I'm working on right now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, flux core. Base metal is ground clean. Good ground. I ground a spot clean for the clamp.

totally blanking, but do I need to grind clean the area on top where the hole is too? That wouldn't fix my "not building up" problem, but good point.

currently using lowest heat setting. Will try a little higher.

also have a welding clamp with copper bottom for heat dissipation coming. That should help, but I don't want to have to rely on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Looks like it was mainly a wirespeed issue. Just needed more wire in faster! Bumped wire speed from from 3 to 7-10 (depending on backing piece thickness) while leaving the heat at the lowest setting and cleared up the issue 90%. Working on technique to get the rest of the way there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts