Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at changing my spark plug wires, and am torn between a few sets. The main difference between them is that one set is 350 ohms resistance, and the others are 500 ohms.

I'm running a stock dizzy with a Pertronix Ignitor I and Flamethrower coil.

I can't imagine I will notice any performance difference between them - will I?

My current wires are 500 ohms - will there be any ill effects of going with a lower resistance wire in my current set up?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It sounds like you're running a pretty bone stock setup, in which case I can not possibly imagine any difference in performance. Perhaps if you were running MSD it might, but even then...

I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I don't think it will make any discernible difference on your car.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Whatever choice you make, spend a few extra bucks for quality wires

That is about the best advice you'll ever hear on the subject. Regardless of the mfg "claimed" resistance, whether the wires perform as expected or not depnds the quality of manufacture. I personally have had very mixed results using cheap store brand wires, even when getting the upgraded "high performance" version of those off brands. If the 350 ohm set is a $20 off brand and the 500 ohm set is a $40 name brand, I'd say get the $40 set.

Assuming both sets are of equal quality, you'll probably never notice a difference in performance with that minimal difference in ohms, but as was said, you can't go wrong getting the ohms as low as possible, with one caveat; RFI. Radio interference is merely an annoyance in older cars, but it can affect the ECM in cars with EFI also, and besides, who wants to deal with static and whine in the radio when you're trying enjoy a nice cruise in a classic? The reason resistance was added to wires in the 1st place was eliminate RFI, so just make sure the wires you get have equal or better than stock RFI suppression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts