Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a unique plug for the antenna hole in the side of the cowl area? This is on a '67 Mustang

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I assume that because of a recent radio swap (or delete), you no longer need it??? I don't think you'll find much out there in the way of a "unique" plug. I've never seen one that didn't draw attention to the obvious deletion. You may find something that you could paint to match the fender, or take the existing parts and modify the antenna mast to look like a power unit in the down position. As long as you don't have another visible antenna mounted elsewhere on the body, nobody will ever question it.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking about this hole:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,070 Posts
The factory grommet was part of the antenna. I've never seen a factory radio delete car so I don't know what they plugged the hole with but undoubtedly it was a standard body plug. It's bound to be the same size hole as some other hole in the body that received a plug.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I save the hard plastic that stuff comes wrapped in.

When I need to plug a hole like that, I cut out a piece, put RTV around it and slap it on.

It stays until I take it off.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
The factory grommet was part of the antenna. I've never seen a factory radio delete car so I don't know what they plugged the hole with but undoubtedly it was a standard body plug. It's bound to be the same size hole as some other hole in the body that received a plug.
I don't recall seeing a radio delete car, but as I understand it, those cars didn't get the hole punched on the top of the passenger side fender. I think I read about it in a recent issue of "Mustang Monthly". That must be a rare find!

·
Premium Member
12,070 Posts
I don't recall seeing a radio delete car, but as I understand it, those cars didn't get the hole punched on the top of the passenger side fender. I think I read about it in a recent issue of "Mustang Monthly". That must be a rare find!

j persons was asking about plugging the hole for the antenna in the cowl side panel which is not seen once the fender is installed. I assume this is on his '67 Dynacorn shell that he is building. In his situation a standard body plug of the correct size is all he needs.

I have never seen an early model Mustang with the radio delete so I don't know if the right side fender had the antenna hole and a plug was inserted or whether Ford stamping plants actually made fenders without the antenna hole.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,218 Posts
When I worked at a Ford new car dealer back in the late 70's I was doing new car prep & I had to drill the hole in the fenders of all the cars. The antenna came in a package in the trunk & had a paper template in the package. I would wet the fender & lay the template on the fender lining up the back & inner edges of the fender lines on the template with the fender on the car, mark the fender & drill the holes. Here is a link to Concours Mustang Forum post #-3 has a pic of what the template looks like.
Antenna hole template for 66 Mustang

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I found a flat disc type plug that fit that hole but I couldn't tell you which one. I ordered an entire car body plug kit, maybe twice because I seem to have a lot of extra plugs. I was amazed at how many holes these cars were built with that take plugs. They're everywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,070 Posts
Back in the summer of '73 I worked at a Toyota distributor in the Houston area (https://www.friedkin.com/automotive/gulf-states-toyota) installing radios in Corollas and Coronas. I had to acquire a radio and antenna from the parts room, then drill a hole in the fender and install all of it. There was no template for the antenna hole. On the first day the supervisor just put his finger on the fender and said "somewhere in this area"! I don't know why they didn't install the radio at the factory but it probably had something to do with tariffs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Virginia Classic Mustang offers a correct radio delete antenna plug for the cowl side panel. Although it is listed for a 1965 - 1966 application, the 1967 should also be a round base antenna, making the cowl panel hole size the same. Their part number is: PE2832 and sells for $17.95.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts