Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife does daycare at home. turned my attached garage years ago into giant family room and built me a larger detached garage. she uses the family room for daycare. a few of the kids that used "potty chairs" are now a little old for that. so now they have to go upstairs to the bathroom. to much traffic in house and its showing. i need to add at least a toilet for now in the big room.my question is this room is lower/dropped 2-3 ft. from my house. i know it can still be done. can someone explain to me how this works or whats involved.thanks in advance.

·
1,210 Posts
Probably need some info first.

Are you on city sewer or septic?

How/where does the sewer stack exit the house (basement, ground level, pumped)

Would the garage/family room be lower than the above?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
did the garage / family room before you converted, have a floor drain, or any plumbing under it. If so you could find the pipe expose it and make a connection leading to the area you want the toilet to be at.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info- hooked to county sewer few years back. have hot water heater in this closet area where i would like to add at least a toilet,maybe sink for now.have access to all plumbing on backside of the cinderblock wall at this closet. but yes this room is "sunken".i guess that is my main concern.being below house level.it would be a rise up to pick up the septic line that runs out the back of the house and to street.no floor drains,nothing in this room plumbing wise,but did move hot water heater out of kitchen closet to this closet in this room.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
no problem you need an up flush toilet..I installed one in my basement about 15 years ago because the waste pipes are over head. I have a sink and a toilet and it is still going strong check it out:
http://www.upflushtoilet.com/.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree with him on Upflush Toilets, These are known as the macerating up flush toilet and are the least expensive of all upflush toilets. Another common type is a free-standing ejection system for sewage. These systems are installed below the incoming waste level, on an elevated platform. They have a separate pump to handle waste from external sources. Another type of upflush toilet is the combination of a traditional toilet and a sump pump that is used for pumping waste materials directly to the septic system or the external sewage. These systems are the most expensive of all upflush toilets as they require plumbing beneath the floor and excavation of the floor.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Yeah, you can't have a rise, otherwise everything will run back down to it. And it's against code. You need a 1/4" drop every foot. I have a utility sink in the basement with the sewer pipe that runs along the ceiling about 6-7 feet above the sink. I just installed a Sani-Flow pump beneath the sink that the sink drains into, and the pump line Y's into the sewer line directly above. You will also need to vent the pump. Since I was installing the utility sink in the basement during our kitchen remodel (which was a full gut with the walls opened up), I took the opportunity to tie a vent line into the kitchen sink vent stack and ran the new vent line through the wall sole plate to the basement, which I tied into the new Sani-Flow pump. You can get them, or the macerating pumps, for several hundred dollars. The upflush toilets are the same concept. I got mine at Menards. You will need power for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts