Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share my experience and findings in resolving an issue I had when installing a PMGR starter in my EFI converted Mustang. A brief history, I wanted to install a PMGR in my car which has the battery and solenoid mounted in the trunk and not have a constant live battery cable going to the starter. Given the amount of wiring I have done to the car for its EFI conversion, I did not want to redo the wiring at this point in time so keeping it as is was a personal preference.

From the many posts that I have found, the general rule to not have a constant live wire was to connect the starter cable from the trunk mounted solenoid to the B+ connector on the PMGR, then run a jumper to the PMGR signal activator post. Well, in my case, this created a starter run-on issue in which the starter would remain engaged for about a second after the car was running due to a feedback loop of power generated by the starter. Needless to say this was not going to work for me.

Side note : There are many excellent posts on many forums and websites that talk about adding diodes and relays and such, but in this case those were not needed so I won’t go over that.

My solution was to use a 4-post foxbody starter solenoid in the trunk with the built in diode (mine is from a 1990 Mustang and comes standard with the diode). Keep in mind, my car is converted to EFI and I was originally only using the ‘S’ port on the trunk mounted solenoid with a standard starter. The ‘I’ port was not used or needed.

My connections are as follows, and I have attached some pictures: The ‘S’ port remains connected to the ignition switch for activation, the battery post on the solenoid is connected to the battery/alternator/ and any accessories required from that post, the output post is connected to the B+ on PMGR on-board starter solenoid, and finally the ‘I’ port is connected to the signal activator post on the PMGR solenoid.

The results to this are: no starter run-ons, no unfused constant live wires going through the car, and the car starts much easier compared to a stock style starter.

I hope this helps if you happen to have a similar setup.

Attachments

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,759 Posts
It's funny how worried we are (I'll admit to it) about running a big "hot all the time" unfused cable the length of our cars when Mazda, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler and others appear to have no qualms about it. I personally extracted one from Miata one time and the other day I was eyeballing a nice big fat cable in the trunk of a 5.7 Chrysler 300 and wondering how hard it would be to extract on of those in a junkyard situation. No fuses on either car's cables.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.