Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20,317 Posts
color me confused, What ring gear do you have ? I would have thought a 157?? Does the 97 v6 T-5 Mustang have a 164 flywheel ?
You’re confused anyway but that’s besides the point. Yes the V6 uses a 11”, 164 tooth at some point I guess in the 90’s Ford standardized starters somewhat. So yes I have a 157 tooth flywheel with the V6 164 tooth starter and it work great. Take it a step farther I have the starter that came with my GT40P. I never thought to see if it would work. It has this extra wing that actually sits on the block plate but gives the appearance of it being clocked differently but it actually fits. Functionally the same as the V6 starter. It looks more like additional bracing now that I know it fits. I thought about using it but it looks like it spent 10 years at the bottom of a mud puddle.

·
Registered
20,317 Posts
If I go to the parts store with my original and ask for a 1997 V6 Mustang with 5 speed starter, I may be all set?
Yes and if you look it up on Rockauto then click on the drop down box for what else it fits, you’ll see it’s used in a very wide application

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I may be beating a dead horse at this point, but I measured the original again and the snout is 2 1/4" long where as you can see in the pic from the website, the 1806 (the longer version for the auto) is ony 2" long.

Is there a version that has a longer snout than this one? The pic I posted above is of my original ford starter, which was likely installed in the car around 40years ago when the motor was rebuilt.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I may be beating a dead horse at this point, but I measured the original again and the snout is 2 1/4" long where as you can see in the pic from the website, the 1806 (the longer version for the auto) is ony 2" long.

Is there a version that has a longer snout than this one? The pic I posted above is of my original ford starter, which was likely installed in the car around 40years ago when the motor was rebuilt.
Yeah, that's a big difference. Needless to say, something here is not as it seems.
Why is it, I'm running a model 1806 in my 289 which, originally, had a C4 and I have nary a problem.

I'm tempted to pull mine and measure the snout. Maybe, as mentioned previously, your box has an incorrect model, as you stated there are no markings on the unit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had a great conversation with PA performance this morning. We compared notes and I shared all the information I’ve learned from this thread and they are sending me a new nose for my 1881 starter that will convert it to an 1806. I should have the new part in a couple days and will update you all with my findings.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I had a great conversation with PA performance this morning. We compared notes and I shared all the information I’ve learned from this thread and they are sending me a new nose for my 1881 starter that will convert it to an 1806. I should have the new part in a couple days and will update you all with my findings.
Didn't you post you installed the 1806 and it "didn't" work?
Or, did I miss a followup?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a stock Motorcraft F7SU-11000-A1B pmgr starter and I just measured the nose and it's 2 1/8 inches for what it's worth. I have no idea what it's out of as a bought it at a swap meet. Hoping it fits a 67 289 with C4 trans. Reading this thread I think it might.

Hope you get it to work out for you.

sandybob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Didn't you post you installed the 1806 and it "didn't" work?
Or, did I miss a followup?
You are correct, but at least this time I'll have both side by side and can take measurements and will test 1st out of the car.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Currently using a PA1806 with 157T lightweight Centerforce FW and a Quick Time bellhousing with no issues. Now I did install it in the 164T FW holes initially (make that twice) and it would not engage the FW. The starter depth doesn't matter. The diameter and shape of the FW do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good News! I received the new 1806 "snout" from PA Performance, which makes my 1881 length starter into an 1806 length. I swapped "snouts" and tested the new starter before install and it worked perfectly. I installed the new 1806 and the car fired right up.

Again, Thank You everyone that helped out and gave me solid info. If there are any questions or measurements from my install that someone needs, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Glad it all worked out. Did you mention to them their website shows the wrong applications for the starters?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Good News! I received the new 1806 "snout" from PA Performance, which makes my 1881 length starter into an 1806 length. I swapped "snouts" and tested the new starter before install and it worked perfectly. I installed the new 1806 and the car fired right up.

Again, Thank You everyone that helped out and gave me solid info. If there are any questions or measurements from my install that someone needs, please let me know.
So, the first 1806 was not correct? But Why? Was it mis-marked?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, the first 1806 was not correct? But Why? Was it mis-marked?
I really don't know and I don't know if I'll ever really know :)

I think there was an issue with the solenoid pushing the pinion gear forward to engage the ring gear. I never tested it out of the car. That starter could have also not have been the right part. The box said 1806, but I have no way of knowing, and that was prior to learning all I have from this thread.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I really don't know and I don't know if I'll ever really know :)

I think there was an issue with the solenoid pushing the pinion gear forward to engage the ring gear. I never tested it out of the car. That starter could have also not have been the right part. The box said 1806, but I have no way of knowing, and that was prior to learning all I have from this thread.
OK, perhaps we won't know. Like I mentioned, I added an 1806 a long time ago. It it has worked. Maybe, it was-mismarked.
Really good to learn of your success.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Glad it all worked out. Did you mention to them their website shows the wrong applications for the starters?
I certainly did. I also called before I placed the order and they told me to order the wrong part. Anyways, If your ring gear is on the back of the flywheel, closest to the trans, you need an 1806 and if the ring gear is on the front of the flywheel closest to the engine, you need the 1881. From what PA said and what I've learned in this thread, there's basically only these two starters for small block fords. I hope this is correct because I certainly don't want to add to the confusion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Currently using a PA1806 with 157T lightweight Centerforce FW and a Quick Time bellhousing with no issues. Now I did install it in the 164T FW holes initially (make that twice) and it would not engage the FW. The starter depth doesn't matter. The diameter and shape of the FW do.
The depth does matter. Depth is the ONLY difference between the 1881 and the 1806.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts